Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Ralf Bierig <so...@yahoo.com> on 2001/06/26 16:46:37 UTC

SOAP Performance (against RMI)

Hi,

are there any performance measurement materials about
SOAP against RMI in Web? Did somebody made a
benchmarktest with SOAP (and maybe RMI)?

I am looking for material to determine, if SOAP is
good enough to fullfil the requirements I need for a
project.

Greetings
Ralf

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

caching SOAP response bodies

Posted by Don Gourley <go...@wrlc.org>.
I am creating a directory lookup service using SOAP.  Because
our directory is pretty slow, I am going to implement a cache
so the web service does not have to query the directory for
information that has been looked up in the recent past.

With the current discussion of performance, it occurs to me
that I could get even better response time on cached responses
if I stored the SOAP response body XML in the cache and then
had some way of telling the SOAP server that it doesn't need
to rebuild it.

Is this practical?  Can someone point me to the methods I might
use to implement it?  Or, would it require that the cache be
on the client side (which I don't really want to do)?

-Don

caching SOAP response bodies

RE: SOAP Performance (against RMI)

Posted by Irfan Anwar <ir...@simpledevices.com>.
My guess is that XML parsing is the bottleneck in the apache SOAP
implementation.  This has very little to do with SOAP design.  I think that
someone should work towards writing a 'smart xml parser' targeted to SOAP
messages.  Any opinion?

I did a simple test & found that RMI is 6 times
faster. I used apache 2.2 with wls 6.0. I would not
call it a real benchmark, but it gave me some idea.

Posted by SBC <ch...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by SBC <ch...@yahoo.com>.