Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Larry Symms <ls...@mail.umd.edu> on 2003/03/10 16:02:22 UTC

New SSL HOWTOs and jsse in 1.1.8

In regards to this document:
http://w6.metronet.com/~wjm/tomcat/2001/Aug/msg00494.html

I do not believe jsse will work with 1.1.8.  There are some native java
classes that are missing in JDK 1.1.8 that are required by jsse
specifically: java.security.PrivilegedAction.  This is required in the
java.security.Security.addProvider(new
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Provider()) method that is required to
allow connections to use secure urls such as ldaps https etc.  I don't
have security access to the java.security file so I have to do
everything programmatically but from what I've read using the
addProvider method in your code is equivalent to putting the
security.provider.3=com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Provider line in the
java.security file so it's not really necessary for us to edit the
java.security file.  I can have it changed but since our install of
1.1.8 is on a shared afs volume it may affect other servers that do not
have jsse installed so I'm reluctant to do that just for testing
purposes.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Lawrence Symms
Systems Analyst