Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Didier Donsez <di...@imag.fr> on 2008/10/24 22:20:55 UTC

FW: Apache Felix Monitor Admin - Status

Martin
[1] is mainly a quick implementation of the Monitor Admin spec
in order to understand the principles of this specification.
It is not robust and its TODOLIST is long (permission check,
synchronization, ...).
I don't know if MA is implemented by other FOSS OSGi communities.

Those following bundles can be used to play with the MA
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/sandbox/donsez/monitor.jobcmd/
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/sandbox/donsez/monitor.sample.memorymonitor/
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/sandbox/donsez/monitor.sample.memorymonitorjob/
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/sandbox/donsez/monitor.sample.usagemonitor/

Somebody may complete this implementation.

Kind regards,

Didier

-
Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Martin Thelian wrote:
> Richard S. Hall schrieb:
>
>>> What about using "No component" or even to create a single component
>>> for all sandbox projects out there?
>>> But I could also send patches and reports directly to Didier if this
>>> is ok for him.
>>>
>> I will create a sandbox component for now. We can always delete it if
>> we change our minds.
>>
> That would be great, thanks.

FYI, I created the component, so feel free to add an issue to it.

-> richard

Posted by Martin Thelian <Ma...@gmx.at>.
Richard S. Hall schrieb:
>> What about using "No component" or even to create a single component
>> for all sandbox projects out there?
>> But I could also send patches and reports directly to Didier if this
>> is ok for him.
> I will create a sandbox component for now. We can always delete it if
> we change our minds.
That would be great, thanks.

Regards,
Martin

Re: FW: Apache Felix Monitor Admin - Status

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by Martin Thelian <Ma...@gmx.at>.
Hi!

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by Didier Donsez <di...@imag.fr>.

Martin Thelian wrote:

> Hi,
>
> how should I report problems I've detected while testing the MA
> implementation?
> I'm also willing to provide patches to get it to run properly.
>
> Problems I've detected so far:
> - IllegalArgumentException in monitor-job if an monitorable is
> unregistered while there is a job monitoring it
> - NullpointerException in unsubscribeStatusVariables while calling
> stop on a scheduled job
> - returning null in monitorable-getStatusVariable causes the whole
> monitor-job to terminate

May be a JIRA issue
But I'm not sure JIRA can be used for sandboxed bundles !
Didier

> Regards,
> Martin
>
> Didier Donsez schrieb:
>
>> Martin
>> [1] is mainly a quick implementation of the Monitor Admin spec
>> in order to understand the principles of this specification.
>> It is not robust and its TODOLIST is long (permission check,
>> synchronization, ...).
>> I don't know if MA is implemented by other FOSS OSGi communities.
>>
>> Those following bundles can be used to play with the MA
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/sandbox/donsez/monitor.jobcmd/
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/sandbox/donsez/monitor.sample.memorymonitor/
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/sandbox/donsez/monitor.sample.memorymonitorjob/
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/sandbox/donsez/monitor.sample.usagemonitor/
>>

>> Somebody may complete this implementation.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Didier

Didier DONSEZ

Laboratoire LIG, Equipe ADELE
Universite Joseph Fourier
Bat. C, 220 rue de la Chimie, Domaine Universitaire
BP 53, 38041 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Tel : +33 4 76 63 55 49           Fax : +33 4 76 63 55 50
GPS : lat 45°11'38.3"N, lon 05°46'14.7"E, alt 223m

mailto:Didier.Donsez@imag.fr
Map:http://membres-liglab.imag.fr/donsez/map/map.html

Re: FW: Apache Felix Monitor Admin - Status

Posted by Martin Thelian <Ma...@gmx.at>.
Hi,

another problem I've detected is that the spec defines
|> "mon.statusvariable.value: The value of the StatusVariable,
represented as a String"

but the implementation currently delivers events containing values of
type Integer,Float,Boolean or String.

Regards,
Martin

Posted by Didier Donsez <di...@imag.fr>.

Posted by Martin Thelian <Ma...@gmx.at>.
Hi,

Posted by Didier Donsez <di...@imag.fr>.
Stevens Gestin wrote:

>My ActivatorBundles also manage life cycle of services but without using
>this interface ... and so without a unified way. Your idea is good, this
>unify how to start and stop service implementation.
>
>I will also apply this "OSGi Programming Good Practice" now.
>
>Have you some other best pratices?

BJ and Peter has presented some of them during several events (JavaOne,
OSGi community event, ...)
http://developers.sun.com/learning/javaoneonline/2007/pdf/TS-1419.pdf
Didier

Posted by Stevens Gestin <sg...@gmail.com>.
My ActivatorBundles also manage life cycle of services but without using
this interface ... and so without a unified way. Your idea is good, this
unify how to start and stop service implementation.

I will also apply this "OSGi Programming Good Practice" now.

Have you some other best pratices?

Best Regards,
Stevens

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Didier Donsez <di...@imag.fr>wrote:

> Stevens Gestin wrote:
>
>  Hi,
>>
>> concerning this monitor sample, I just have a question on implementation.
>> Why did you create MemoryMonitor and CPUUsageMonitor as bundle activators?
>>

> By default, all my servants (ie objects registered as a service) implement
> the BundleActivator interface
> in order to manage their life cycle !
> In this case,
> felix-svn\sandbox\donsez\monitor.sample.usagemonitor\src\main\java\org\apache\felix\sandbox\monitor\sample\Activator.java
> manages the lifecycle of all servants deployed in the bundle.
> I think this is a "OSGi Programming Good Practice" ! (this is my own
> opinion)
> Didier
>

>  Creation of monitorable bean (implementation of Monitorable) and
>> registered
>> then as services is another possibilities, is this right?
>>
>> Stevens
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 10:32 AM, Martin Thelian <Martin.Thelian@gmx.at
>> >wrote:
>>

>>> Thank you very much for your answer. Your implementation seems to work
>>> fine. And indeed I've found no other implementation till now.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Martin

>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/sandbox/donsez/monitor.sample.memorymonitor/
>>>

>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/sandbox/donsez/monitor.sample.memorymonitorjob/
>>>

>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/sandbox/donsez/monitor.sample.usagemonitor/

> Didier DONSEZ
>
> Laboratoire LIG, Equipe ADELE
> Universite Joseph Fourier
> Bat. C, 220 rue de la Chimie, Domaine Universitaire
> BP 53, 38041 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
> Tel : +33 4 76 63 55 49           Fax : +33 4 76 63 55 50
> GPS : lat 45°11'38.3"N, lon 05°46'14.7"E, alt 223m
>
> mailto:Didier.Donsez@imag.fr
> Map:http://membres-liglab.imag.fr/donsez/map/map.html

Le respect commence par celui de l'environnement

Re: FW: Apache Felix Monitor Admin - Status

Posted by Didier Donsez <di...@imag.fr>.

Posted by Martin Thelian <Ma...@gmx.at>.
Stevens Gestin schrieb:
> Creation of monitorable bean (implementation of Monitorable) and registered
> then as services is another possibilities, is this right?
Yes. That's the way I've done it.

Regards,
Martin

Re: FW: Apache Felix Monitor Admin - Status

Posted by Stevens Gestin <sg...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Martin Thelian <Ma...@gmx.at>.

Posted by Martin Thelian <Ma...@gmx.at>.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Stevens Gestin wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm a bit desappointed with OSGI specifications. Core specifications (OSGI
> engine) are ok but when we look at services like monitoring, logging, shell,
> etc I think they lake lost of functionalities.

It comes down to requirements. If no one is pushing the requirement, it
is not added. Additionally, it is better to keep the specs as simple as
possible and grow them from experience, not by trying to think of
everything in advance. Still, member companies drive the work and
resources are limited there, like everywhere else.

> I've already rewritten a complete OSGI shell environment with shell service
> extensions (not only Command), command pipeline, command aliasing,
> variables, help and shell sessions.

OSGi has never had a shell service, but this could change soon.

> In our applications shell service will be the core piece of the
> architecture. Registered services will generate shell commands (for logging)
> they won't access directly (most of the time) other services.
>
> I'm also rewriting logging service because it doesn't have the granularity I
> need.
>
> I'm not telling about HttpService which is too simpler for our needs ...
>
> Why specification of services seems so simpler?
>
> Will I need to redevelop all these usefull core services?

See above.

Also, keep in mind that there is nothing particularly special about OSGi
services, other than they are defined by the OSGi Alliance. Communities,
companies, people are free to define and push their own service
"specifications". Not everything has to be blessed by the OSGi Alliance.

-> richard

Posted by Stevens Gestin <sg...@gmail.com>.
Hi,