Posted to dev@corinthia.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2015/02/22 17:34:54 UTC

The Visual Studio move to OpenSource [Development]

Here is a good summary about the Visual Studio Community Edition,
<http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-community-vs>.

I am currently using this and its command-line tools for demonstration of on-Windows development (except for JDK work).  That's my way of ensuring that anything I do in this area can be built using free tools.  (I work with MSYS2 for command-line-only building.)

The Visual Studio 2015 Technology Preview suggests even more embrace of platforms (such as integration of Clang, working against the JDK, and more mobile emulators).  The VS IDE is also going open-source but it is not clear what the bounds on that will be.

Just an FYI.