Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by abjett <rj...@austin.rr.com> on 2003/04/08 19:01:10 UTC

DBCP - JNDI - Jakarta Connectors

I need to understand more about DBCP, JNDI Jakarta Connectors as it is used
with Tomcat 4...
I used
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-how
to.html as a starting point...specifically, the MySQL example.
The code works fine but...

I don't understand  how, why a "connection pool" is established by the java
code shown in the MySQL example.  To me this code looks like it establishes
a connection but not any kind of pool.

Where can I find an explanation of how the pool is established and examples
that use the pool?

Thanks,
Bob

Re: DBCP - JNDI - Jakarta Connectors

Posted by abjett <rj...@austin.rr.com>.
Yes.  The problem I had in the beginning was not setting up a mysql super
user as described.

This is for :

MySQL 4.11 gamma,
Tomcat 4.1,
W2K

If you didn't build a super user as described in the article.  You will need
to do that first.

Good Luck,
Bob

The file structure is: C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\webapps\
DBTEST
    foo
       DBTest.class
   WEB-INF
       foo
           DBTest.class
       web.xml
   test.jsp

IN YOUR conf/server.xml after the tomcat examples context...

<host>     ---- all of this stuff  through the end of </context> should
exist already just find the end of the "Tomcat examples context"
<!-- Tomcat Examples Context -->
<context...>
</context>

              --- PUT THE FOLLOWING AFTER THE Tomcat Examples Context ----

<!-- MySQL DBCP test -->
<Context path="/DBTest" docBase="DBTest"
        debug="5" reloadable="true" crossContext="true">

             prefix="localhost_DBTest_log." suffix=".txt"
             timestamp="true"/>

  <Resource name="jdbc/TestDB"
               auth="Container"
               type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>

  <ResourceParams name="jdbc/TestDB">
    <parameter>
      <name>factory</name>
    </parameter>

    <!-- Maximum number of dB connections in pool. Make sure you
         configure your mysqld max_connections large enough to handle
         all of your db connections. Set to 0 for no limit.
         -->
    <parameter>
      <name>maxActive</name>
      <value>100</value>
    </parameter>

    <!-- Maximum number of idle dB connections to retain in pool.
         Set to 0 for no limit.
         -->
    <parameter>
      <name>maxIdle</name>
      <value>30</value>
    </parameter>

    <!-- Maximum time to wait for a dB connection to become available
         in ms, in this example 10 seconds. An Exception is thrown if
         this timeout is exceeded.  Set to -1 to wait indefinitely.
         -->
    <parameter>
      <name>maxWait</name>
      <value>10000</value>
    </parameter>

    <!-- MySQL dB username and password for dB connections  -->
    <parameter>
     <name>username</name>
     <value>javauser</value>
    </parameter>
    <parameter>
     <name>password</name>
     <value>javadude</value>
    </parameter>

    <!-- Class name for mm.mysql JDBC driver -->
    <parameter>
       <name>driverClassName</name>
       <value>org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver</value>
    </parameter>

    <!-- The JDBC connection url for connecting to your MySQL dB.
         The autoReconnect=true argument to the url makes sure that the
         mm.mysql JDBC Driver will automatically reconnect if mysqld closed
the
         connection.  mysqld by default closes idle connections after 8
hours.
         -->
    <parameter>
      <name>url</name>
      <value>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/javatest?autoReconnect=true</value>
    </parameter>
  </ResourceParams>
</Context>
<!-- End MySQL DBCP test -->
                                       ---- I HAVE THE MYSQL CONTEXT AS
THIS ---
<!-- MySQLAccess -->
        <Context path="/MySQLAccess" docBase="MySqlAccess" debug="0"
reloadable="true" />

<!-- END MySQLAccess -->

</host> ----this is just end of your host, it should already be there.