Posted to oro-user@jakarta.apache.org by malcolm davis <ma...@nuearth.com> on 2001/06/04 09:38:49 UTC

Different Lib / Performance / Ack&Perl / Testing

Different Lib:
I am using the library provided at http://jakarta.apache.org/oro/.
I also noticed the same tools at http://www.savarese.org/oro/downloads/
The PerlTools have text/regex/Perl5StreamInput, and Jakarta source does not.
Are there any other significant differences?

Performance:
I’m reading and parsing a large text file (50MB) using Perl5Match.
Doing a performance analysis I notice much of the processing time
is around the Perl5Match.contains(buffer, pattern) routine.
Is there anything I can do to resolve performance issues with Perl5Match?
On solaris, the cpu takes a hit for several minutes (30%).

Ack/Perl:
Doe anyone have a good source for the difference between Ack & Perl
regular expressions?  The only thing I have been able to find is
Regular Expressions Syntax Support at the bottom of
http://sitescooper.org/tao_regexps.html.  Is this accurate for oro lib?
Is the only differences between Perl & Ack is \( \) ?

Testing:
I enjoy the applet @ oro that test Perl regular expressions!

Thanks,
Malcolm