Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by spyle376 <sp...@ldschurch.org> on 2019/05/30 16:55:10 UTC

Problem upgrading to 2.8.1

I've recently tried upgrading a broker created on 2.6.4 to 2.8.1 and I'm
getting the following trace upon starting it

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/wildfly/common/net/HostName
        at org.jboss.logmanager.ExtLogRecord.<init>(ExtLogRecord.java:87)
        at org.jboss.logmanager.Logger.log(Logger.java:796)
        at
org.jboss.logging.JBossLogManagerLogger.doLog(JBossLogManagerLogger.java:44)
        at org.jboss.logging.Logger.logv(Logger.java:2226)
        at
org.apache.activemq.artemis.integration.bootstrap.ActiveMQBootstrapLogger_$logger.serverStarting(ActiveMQBootstrapLogger_$logger.java:35)
        at
org.apache.activemq.artemis.integration.FileBroker.start(FileBroker.java:68)
        at org.apache.activemq.artemis.cli.commands.Run.execute(Run.java:85)
        at
org.apache.activemq.artemis.cli.Artemis.internalExecute(Artemis.java:150)
        at org.apache.activemq.artemis.cli.Artemis.execute(Artemis.java:98)
        at org.apache.activemq.artemis.cli.Artemis.execute(Artemis.java:125)
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.activemq.artemis.boot.Artemis.execute(Artemis.java:129)
        at org.apache.activemq.artemis.boot.Artemis.main(Artemis.java:49)

I can upgrade to 2.8.0 just fine. I noticed that an issue was created for it
here <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARTEMIS-2357>   a couple days
ago. Is there any way I can fix this or should I wait for the next version?

Re: Problem upgrading to 2.8.1

Posted by spyle376 <sp...@ldschurch.org>.
Awesome, thank you

Re: Problem upgrading to 2.8.1

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.
The issue is related to a dependency upgrade that changes what libraries
are required when the broker starts. The main difference here for upgrading
users like yourself is a change in the bin/artemis start script.

Before 2.8.1 there was this "if" statement:

  if [ -z "$LOG_MANAGER" ] ; then
    # this is the one found when the server was created
    LOG_MANAGER="$ARTEMIS_HOME/lib/jboss-logmanager-2.0.3.Final.jar"
  fi

This needs to be replaced with this block:

  if [ -z "$LOG_MANAGER" ] ; then
    # this is the one found when the server was created
    LOG_MANAGER="$ARTEMIS_HOME/lib/jboss-logmanager-2.1.10.Final.jar"
  fi

  WILDFLY_COMMON=`ls $ARTEMIS_HOME/lib/wildfly-common*jar 2>/dev/null`
  if [ -z "$WILDFLY_COMMON" ] ; then
    # this is the one found when the server was created
    WILDFLY_COMMON="$ARTEMIS_HOME/lib/wildfly-common-1.5.1.Final.jar"
  fi

Notice that the jboss-logmanager version has changed and there is also a
new wildfly-common library.

Not much further down there is this line:

  -Xbootclasspath/a:"$LOG_MANAGER" \

This line should be changed to be:

  -Xbootclasspath/a:"$LOG_MANAGER:$WILDFLY_COMMON" \

I'll get the upgrade documentation updated to reflect these differences.

Justin