Posted to xmlbeans-dev@xml.apache.org by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com> on 2003/07/30 23:05:12 UTC

Invitation to xmlbeans-dev

Now that the XMLBeans lists are up, I'd invite any interested members
of the incubator to subscribe to the lists.  Incubation related messages
will continue
to be sent/copied to general@incubator.apache.org.

Ted

Re: Invitation to xmlbeans-dev

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.
Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com> wrote:

> Part of the Apache Way
> is that we admit committers based on their merits.   Right now, no one
> outside Cliff's list of commiters has submitted a single patch for
> XMLBeans.  I am uncomfortable with *me* having commit rights to xmlbeans
> when I haven't submitted any patches (the only justification for me
> having them is that I'm the sponsoring member, FWIW).   That's one issue.

"Contributors are the people who write code or documentation patches *or
contribute positively to the project in other ways*. A volunteer's
contribution is always recognized. [...]

"Contributors who give frequent and valuable contributions to a subproject
of the Project can have their status promoted to that of a "Committer" for
that subproject. [...]"
(my emphasis)

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/roles.html

Andreas

Re: Invitation to xmlbeans-dev

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 30/07/2003 23:55 Ted Leung wrote:

> If that means that I need to not have commit privileges, I will happily
> give them up.  I'm not saying that you shouldn't be a committer, I just
> want to make sure that we understand the precedent(s) that we are setting.
> Please let me know your thoughts on this,

Simple: it's not about the commit privileges, but about the ability to
cast a binding vote. Funny as it seems, Cocoon, the project I'm chairing
ATM, has quite a few community members with 'technical karma) who don't
regularly/ever contribute patches, but participate in discussions, and
can cast real votes, even can become member of our PMC. I know I'm
freaking out people describing such a hideous situation, but it works
rather well over there. ;-)

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Invitation to xmlbeans-dev

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Invitation to xmlbeans-dev

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Invitation to xmlbeans-dev

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
On 7/30/2003 2:23 PM, Steven Noels wrote:

> Consider me in, if not content-wise than at least to check on how the
> project is incubating, and to help on community aspects.
>
> In this respect, I respectfully ask to become part of the initial
> group of committers.
>
> </Steven>

Hi Steven,

I have a question about your request.   The existing ASF people here,
you, me, and some of the interested others are here to help with the
community aspects (among others) of the project.  Part of the Apache Way
is that we admit committers based on their merits.   Right now, no one
outside Cliff's list of commiters has submitted a single patch for
XMLBeans.  I am uncomfortable with *me* having commit rights to xmlbeans
when I haven't submitted any patches (the only justification for me
having them is that I'm the sponsoring member, FWIW).   That's one issue.

A second issue is that the introduction of the XMLBeans project was
accompanied by a lot of concerns over the number of BEA committers (6 at
the moment) and independent committers (3 at the moment - I'm not
counting myself -- I'm only going to consider myself a committer when I
get 3 +1's from the original 9 + whoever they admit).   I am concerned
that we will be accused of padding up the number of committers to reach
a 50% "balance" of BEA/independent committers (never mind that the
incubator STATUS file says that 3 independents are sufficient).   This
project is going to be triple scrutinized (whether fairly or not)
because it involves a donation from a large company.  I want to make
sure that everything is done squeaky clean here.

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org