Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Corinna Hischke <co...@infix.de> on 2000/11/07 15:25:48 UTC

One solution and another problem with tables

Hi all,

the partial borders I fixed last time revealed another problem:

if a bottom-border was used inside a table, the border was drawn
on top of the text (just a few points below a top-border).

The attached patch for TableCell.java fixes this problem.

But there is still a problem left, I could not fix myself:

I tried to use padding for table-rows. I found this useful, as it helps
maintaining
consistent table design.

First I had to add the property settings for table rows and columns (patch
is also attached).

But the larger a padding-top-property is, the more that row overlays
the following one. I presume, this would happen with table-cell-padding as
well.

I tried different approaches, beginning with the positioning of the
table-cell
areaContainer and ending up in maintaining an offset for rows just like with
table-columns.

Any help will be welcome. But propably this is something to be fixed by
Karen
when she will work on the tables?
--
Corinna Hischke
infix Software-Systeme GmbH, Braunschweig, Germany

Re: Image Alignment - what am I doing wrong?

Posted by Jacques-Alexandre Gerber <ge...@intalio.com>.
Robert,

I've experienced that with FOP 0.14: "start" and "center" are inverted
for <fo:external-graphic>. Try text-align="center" and you may see your
graphic left-justified! I looked in the code and found a //fix me
comment! So this problem may have been already solved in the latest
sources in CVS, or at least the developers seem to be aware of it !...

JA

Re: One solution and ... with tables - commit proposal

Posted by Corinna Hischke <co...@infix.de>.
Hello again,

to reply to myself:

> if a bottom-border was used inside a table, the border was drawn
> on top of the text (just a few points below a top-border).
>
> The attached patch for TableCell.java fixes this problem.
>
> But there is still a problem left, I could not fix myself:
>
> I tried to use padding for table-rows.
> [...]
> But the larger a padding-top-property is, the more that row overlays
> the following one. I presume, this would happen with table-cell-padding as
> well.

I found a very short solution concerning this problem. So I've attached the
following patches on the basis of the cvs-repository  xml-fop_20001108111638
:

- TableRow: contains padding for table-rows with a fix for the described
overlaying of rows
- TableColumn: contains the setting of padding properties, but the padding
itself is not yet implemented
- TableCell: contains the fix I described in my last mail (maybe some of you
already applied this one - there is no difference to the one I've included
in my last mail)

It would be nice, if somebody finds it worth committing.

What I still don't like with table borders are two things:

- If I've got a bottom border in one row and a top border in the following
one, only one border appears (somehow like Excel borders, for which you
can't say, wether they are bottom or top). Does anybody know, if that
behavior is described in the specification?

- Somehow the top borders in following rows seem to be nearer to the text
than in the first row. Maybe this is a bug, but it is not so important. I
would prefer testing these effects with the new table features of Karen.

So far about tables - I've now got to move to another project ;-)

- Corinna