Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Axel Boldt <ax...@uni-paderborn.de> on 2001/11/23 17:32:20 UTC

build/8848: dbm libraries not properly linked in binary release

>Number:         8848
>Category:       build
>Synopsis:       dbm libraries not properly linked in binary release
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Installing the binary release of Apache 1.3.20 (i686 linux2.2) on Debian and starting Apache will fail with the message
  Cannot load /usr/local/apache/modules/mod_rewrite.so into server:
  /usr/local/apache/modules/mod_rewrite.so: undefined symbol: dbm_fetch
After uncommenting mod_rewrite and dbm_auth from httpd.conf, apache starts and runs fine.

ldd mod_rewrite.so shows that it is dynamically linked against glibc only, not against any dbm library (which are all installed on my system). This appears to be the problem.

This is a long-standing problem on several operating systems (see apache bug reports #6342, #6916, #7368 and numerous reports on usenet http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=apache%20dbm_fetch). No solution has ever been offered.

Probably related is that the find-dbm-lib script has been reported to be broken at http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=39EF47EF.5EEC61D9%40askit.com
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
When creating the binary, link against the proper dbm library. See http://server.ccl.net/cca/software/UNIX/apache/apacheRH7.0/local-copies/dbm.html