Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Cheng Wei Lee <zh...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/11 02:53:34 UTC

How to free up disk space for SVN server (other than removing log files suggested in FAQ)?

Checked that there isn't much log files. Does deleting of files help in
recovering the disk space, since SVN doesn't really deletes any files? If it
doesn't, how else can I reclaim my disk space, if adding harddisks isn't a
viable option?

Cheers!

Re: How to free up disk space for SVN server (other than removing log files suggested in FAQ)?

Posted by Marc Haisenko <ha...@comdasys.com>.
On Thursday 17 January 2008, Cheng Wei Lee wrote:
> So other than buying/adding new disks, there's no out-of-the-box feature
> from SVN to reclaim space?

Correct.
	Marc

--
Marc Haisenko

Comdasys AG
Rüdesheimer Str. 7
80686 München
Germany

Tel.: +49 (0)89 548 433 321

Re: How to free up disk space for SVN server (other than removing log files suggested in FAQ)?

Posted by Cheng Wei Lee <zh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Schweigstill <an...@schweigstill.de>.
Hello!

Posted by Talden <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
Please use Reply To All to ensure that replies stay on-list.

On Jan 10, 2008 10:34 PM, Cheng Wei Lee <zh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yep, agree that disk is cheap, but I can't convince those system
> administrator that.

If your system administrator won't address the needs of his users,
he's useless. If you're properly using SVN and not bloating the
repository with massive files that don't need to be versioned, then
the sysadmin is not doing his job properly by not giving you the space
required.

> Is there some way that I can like archive the repository
> into a dump file, then like what you say strip of some history to reclaim
> space?

svndumpfilter. See the FAQ and book. But it seems rather foolish to
have to destroy history just to avoid buying a larger disk -
especially since in some cases, selectively removing things from
history can make the repository *bigger*. Destroying history negates
one of the benefits of using Subversion in the first place. My audit
department would lobby for the termination of my employment if I were
to make that choice (fortunately, my department's decision-makers
would prevent that by giving me the disk space required for the
system).

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.