Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Jeff Corliss <je...@yahoo.com> on 2002/01/25 22:35:52 UTC

Apache Soap 2.2 questions

Hi all,

New to the project and the list.  Have everything
running ok and even wrote small service/client.  Some
questions I have though:

- Is this project "dead"?  I know the list is active
but with a last release from May 2001, it seems like
it might be.  If it is dead, what is being used
instead these days?

- Regardless of the above, is this project being used
by anyone in a production environment?

- On the mime sample I noted that the file names of
the attachments always came back as null - is that
normal or just a bug in the service/client?

Thanks,
Jeff

http://auctions.yahoo.com

Re: Apache Soap 2.2 questions

Posted by Jeff Corliss <je...@yahoo.com>.
--- Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com>
wrote:
> > - On the mime sample I noted that the file names
> of
> > the attachments always came back as null - is that
> > normal or just a bug in the service/client?
>
> That sounds like a bug in the service/client. Does
> the sample
> work correctly?
> Sanjiva.

It seems to work correctly except for the file name,
yes.  I'm guessing once I take a closer look it's
probably something simple to change.
-JC

http://auctions.yahoo.com

Re: Apache Soap 2.2 questions

Posted by Jeff Corliss <je...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Apache Soap 2.2 questions

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com>.
> New to the project and the list.  Have everything
> running ok and even wrote small service/client.  Some
> questions I have though:
>
> - Is this project "dead"?  I know the list is active
> but with a last release from May 2001, it seems like
> it might be.  If it is dead, what is being used
> instead these days?

This project is not dead, however, its been lying dormant
waiting for Axis to complete. Apache Axis is the designated
follow-on for Apache SOAP, but its running horribly behind
schedule (like 6+ months already). I would like to gather
up support and release a Apache SOAP 2.3 soon capturing all
the updates that have gone in since the 2.2 release. We would
also need to clear up the buzilla queue.

If Axis does release a stable, migratable 1.0 within 3-6
months then that will be the last release of Apache SOAP.

> - Regardless of the above, is this project being used
> by anyone in a production environment?

IBM WebSphere Application Server v4.0 ships using Apache SOAP.

Re: Apache Soap 2.2 questions

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com>.

Re: Mysql

Posted by Fred Meredith <fm...@nc.rr.com>.

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to run a webservice that uses a mysql database.  The service
> runs fine through the connection, but when I try to query the database it
> seems to die and a I get a Fault String indicating that the return object
> is null.  If an exception is thrown I would not get a null return
> object.  I am using mm.mysql-2.0.10.bin.jar package to provide my driver.
> Are there any special issues with mysql?
>
> thanks for your help,
>
> Isaac

I've used MySQL as a database for many of my SOAP interfaces.  I'm using the
mm.mysql-2.0.2.bin.jar package.  Here is some sample code that I use:

String driver="org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver";
String url="jdbc:mysql://localhost/dbname?user=root";

Class.forName(driver);
connection = DriverManager.getConnection(url);

Statement statement = connection.createStatement();
String qrySelect="SELECT * FROM tablename";
ResultSet result =statement.executeQuery(qrySelect);

while (result.next()) {

--- some processing here ---

}

--- and then some clean up code here ---

I'm not sure how much help that is...

Re: Mysql

Posted by Fred Meredith <fm...@nc.rr.com>.

Mysql

Mysql

Re: Apache Soap 2.2 questions

Posted by Fred Meredith <fm...@nc.rr.com>.
I don't think this project is dead.  There is another Apache project, Axis
that will eventually replace this one (I assume).  Axis just recently
released an alpha3 which is functionally complete.

> - Is this project "dead"?  I know the list is active
> but with a last release from May 2001, it seems like
> it might be.  If it is dead, what is being used
> instead these days?

I'm involved in a project using Apache SOAP 2.2 which will go into
production September of this year.

Re: Apache Soap 2.2 questions

Posted by Fred Meredith <fm...@nc.rr.com>.

Posted by Gary Feldman <ga...@rtr.com>.

                 *****************************

Posted by Thomas Thornbury <th...@optonline.net>.
Hi all,

I have a SOAP app that runs fine under the configuration above under
Win2K.

However I'm porting it to HPUX.  It has a executable DLL called via JNI
under Win2K.  I've recompiled the library under HPUX and created a .so
file.  Unfortunately SOAP can't find it.  I tried setting
LC_LIBRARY_PATH and LIBRARYPATH in the environment, but once again I'm
bitten by the fact that Apache SOAP uses it's own environment and
neither is in the executing environment to the application if I print
out the library path property.

Anyone know what the setting under Apache SOAP or Tomcat is so it'll
load my library?

JNI under Apache SOAP 2.2 & Tomcat