Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> on 2018/02/16 04:07:56 UTC

Re: Solr running on Tomcat

Why to you think Solr on Tomcat == scalability?

Solr has not been distributed as a war file for some time, see:
https://wiki.apache.org/solr/WhyNoWar Just run it as a server.
Eventually it won't even use Jetty, but something like Netty etc....

Best,
Erick

RE: Solr running on Tomcat

Posted by GVK Prasad <gv...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hello Eric,
My assumption was hosting on Jetty may not work for production and higher performance systems needs and we have to go for Servers like Tomcat.  If it is not supported with latest version not sure how it will help us. Thanks for clarification.

Regards,
Prasad

Re: Solr running on Tomcat

Posted by Shawn Heisey <el...@elyograg.org>.
On 2/17/2018 9:27 PM, GVK Prasad wrote:
> My assumption was hosting on Jetty may not work for production and higher performance systems needs and we have to go for Servers like Tomcat.  If it is not supported with latest version not sure how it will help us. Thanks for clarification.

It is probably possible to still run Solr in Tomcat.  I can't find
anything outside of tests and the embedded server that explicitly uses
Jetty classes -- so the application should work properly in most servlet
containers, as long as there aren't dependency conflicts with Solr's
large list of dependencies, which are a problem for some containers.

Because official support has been removed for all containers other than
Jetty, it is possible that at some point in the future Solr *will*
explicitly use libraries from Jetty, and if that happens, then running
in any other container will not work.  If whatever feature is being
developed can be done with container-agnostic code, that will be preferred.

The Jetty install that ships with Solr has been adjusted a little bit
for Solr's needs.  It is likely that a Tomcat install would require some
config changes if it needs to scale very much.

=======

A little company you might have heard of (Google) needed a servlet
container for something they were working on, currently known as Google
App Engine.

Initially, they were running Tomcat.  But after a while (no idea how
long) they switched to Jetty.

https://www.infoq.com/news/2009/08/google-chose-jetty

If there was any concern about Jetty's performance compared to the 800
pound gorilla that Tomcat is in its space, Google wouldn't be using it.
They care a great deal about things like memory usage and modularity,
but they wouldn't switch if they couldn't get similar (or better)
performance.

Jetty is used by a LOT of other programs.  Here's a few of them:

https://www.eclipse.org/jetty/powered/powered.html

(Just noticed that Solr is NOT on that page!  I will look into that!)

Thanks,
Shawn