Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com> on 2011/07/01 10:40:05 UTC

Re: QMF Questions....

On 06/30/2011 08:21 PM, fadams wrote:
> So I guess this is the "queueThresholdExceeded" Event, This looks pretty
> cool.
>
> However......
>
> I notice if I set up the queue and run my producer, the first time I exceed
> the threshold I get the Event nicely, but if I re-run the producer to an
> already full queue I simply get the exception thrown without seeing the
> queueThresholdExceeded Event.
>
> If I fill the queue, hoover messages off it then fill it up again I get the
> Events fine even if I do it pretty quickly, just not when I attempt to push
> messages onto an already full queue.
>
> The broker still reports "error Execution exception:
> resource-limit-exceeded: Policy exceeded"
>
> This seems inconsistent - have I missed something?

When the threshold is first exceeded and event is always generated.
However subsequent messages enqueued while above the limit will not all
generate events or this could exacerbate an unexpected situation by
for a period controlled by qpid.alert_repeat_gap /
x-qpid-minimum-alert-repeat-gap (by default I think its one minute).

If the level dips back below the threshold the timer is reset so that on
again reaching the limit an event is always generated.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: QMF Questions....

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 07/01/2011 10:52 AM, fadams wrote:
> Presumably I can find the number of bytes currently on a queue? Is that the
> "byteDepth" object on the queue object?

Yes

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: QMF Questions....

Posted by fadams <fr...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
OK that makes sense, and it's good to know that "If the level dips back below
the threshold the timer is reset".

I guess that the scenario I was testing is when a new producer comes online
and there's a full queue.

I can clearly intercept the clientConnect then do some querying of QMF
objects, but I haven't a clue which objects to look for to figure out that
any given queue has exceeded a threshold.

As we've previously discussed I don't even believe that I can actually find
the queue size at runtime if it was using the broker defaults (though I
guess that as I control the broker I can pass that to my QMF client as a
parameter).