Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2015/01/07 18:58:23 UTC

tcnative trunk versus 1.1 branch

All,

As far as I can tell, the 1.1 branch has gotten way out of sync with the
trunk, here. Rainer has been doing a lot of work on the trunk, lately,
with nothing being back-ported.

Is anyone interested in an effort to bring these two back into sync with
each other?

There are whole features (e.g. anything in sslext.c) in trunk that
aren't available in the 1.1 branch, which is where all the releases are
coming from, and there are Java features that rely on these native
features being there, which they will never be unless we either
back-port a huge amount of patches or decide to go to a 1.2 branch or
something similar.

Rainer, do you have a plan for all the changes you are making?

Thanks,
-chris

Re: tcnative trunk versus 1.1 branch

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Rainer,

On 1/8/15 7:33 AM, Rainer Jung wrote:
> Am 07.01.2015 um 18:58 schrieb Christopher Schultz:
>> All,
>>
>> As far as I can tell, the 1.1 branch has gotten way out of sync with the
>> trunk, here. Rainer has been doing a lot of work on the trunk, lately,
>> with nothing being back-ported.
>
> I don't get that. What work do you mean? The first possibly not
> backported change I can find from me is dated 2013-06.

Oh, man. I have entirely confused myself by looking at native code in
both the tcnative and mod_jk projects and mixed everything up when
posting this.

Yes, the trunk/branch confusion exists in tcnative but you have been
committing to mod_jk, so the issues are completely separate.

Sorry for the noise.

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Am 07.01.2015 um 18:58 schrieb Christopher Schultz:
> All,
>
> As far as I can tell, the 1.1 branch has gotten way out of sync with the
> trunk, here. Rainer has been doing a lot of work on the trunk, lately,
> with nothing being back-ported.

I don't get that. What work do you mean? The first possibly not
backported change I can find from me is dated 2013-06.

I did some merging in July 2011 but that was from 1.1 to trunk. Trunk
was branched in 2008 to make use of APR 1.3. In its early life got some
changes by Mladen which were not part of 1.1. Later many commits applied
to 1.1 were not applied to trunk.

See also http://marc.info/?t=135937219200002&r=1&w=2

> Is anyone interested in an effort to bring these two back into sync with
> each other?
>
> There are whole features (e.g. anything in sslext.c) in trunk that
> aren't available in the 1.1 branch, which is where all the releases are
> coming from, and there are Java features that rely on these native
> features being there, which they will never be unless we either
> back-port a huge amount of patches or decide to go to a 1.2 branch or
> something similar.
>
> Rainer, do you have a plan for all the changes you are making?

Chris: I guess you are mixing the mod_jk changes with tcnative when
addressing me. At least I don't understand what tcnative trunk changes
done by me you mean.

Regards,

Rainer