Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Carlos Quiroz <ca...@nokia.com> on 2008/08/26 09:41:41 UTC

Expired messages never disappear

Hi

I've been fighting with this issue for a few days but so far I can't really
understand well what is happening.
In my scenario we have clients that create durable subscriptions to topics.
To those subscriptions messages are sent every now and then. The messages
are not persistent and have an expiration of about 1 day. When clients
connect before the expiration they get those messages or if they have
expired clients don't get those messages as expected.

The downside is that expired messages apparently never leave the system.
They are not sent to the client but instead they remain in the Kaha Store
and every time a client connects ActiveMQ goes through all the messages in
the subscription for processing.

If I don't use a DLQ the expired messages are skipped but remain so that
next time a client connect they reappear. I've tried to send them to the DLQ
and even process them but still next time ActiveMQ starts, it restores them
from the store and starts sending them again to the DLQ, I think in this
scenario messages are really replayed into the DLQ.

So I'm looking for some advice. Are expired messages ever prunned? If I
don't want to process expired messages so I don't use a DLQ shouldn't they
just disappear. If I do send them to the DLQ and process them, should they
disappear then?

PS- I'm using AMQ 5.1 and the default persistent storage.

Regards
Carlos Quiroz