Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> on 2014/12/04 08:56:27 UTC

oooforum

For information: the old forum (oooforum.org) is currently flagged as follows

"NOTICE: This domain name expired on 02/12/2014 and is pending renewal or deletion."

This might be an appropriate time to renew/continue earlier discussions .

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: oooforum

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
Side note: it seems that there is actually not much discussion.

Ed, it seems, is over-committed for his time, which is what caused the
problem with the forum in the first place. For now, I think most of the
time is spent waiting on Ed to consider his options and make a decision
about what he wants to do. Any decision that is made then takes time
time implement, and it will likely take something from him that was his
baby for a long time. In other words, it is not an easy decision to make.

Sadly, time is not our friend here.

On 12/04/2014 10:45 AM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> Unfortunately seems these matters went into private lists. I would
> suggest a public IRC meetup to clear all the issues, and fast-track to
> a conclusion and actions.
>
> On 12/4/14, Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:
>> For information: the old forum (oooforum.org) is currently flagged as
>> follows
>>
>> "NOTICE: This domain name expired on 02/12/2014 and is pending renewal or
>> deletion."
>>
>> This might be an appropriate time to renew/continue earlier discussions .
>>
>> --
>> Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php

Re: oooforum

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
Is a rough estimate and yeah 100g will be a good 4 to 8 days. But a, I
don't think it will come to 100g and b, the process will be between servers
so it shouldn't be an issue.
I could rent a vps with 100g for 4 days but then it would need additionally
4 more days to transfer to apache. If I put it on my lame dsl it might take
10x more.

Re: oooforum

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 04/12/2014 Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> wget doesnt preserve the links but do an html copy of the old website,
> basically what you are asking from Ed.

No, it's much different. We want a fully working website: both the
database and files that are needed to clone the site. This keeps all
options open, while a bunch of HTML files takes us nowhere for a dynamic
site like this one (yes, you can access some content, but it is of
course entirely different from being able to simply rebuild the
application and use the built-in functionality for, e.g., deleting spam
posts).

> My original question was if there was a follow up after your request?

Yes. The outcome is the one I described earlier in this public thread:
that solution (read-only mirror, but as a full phpbb site, not as a
static HTML grabbed copy) would be the best one for clean-up and archival.

I concur with Andrew that the ball is in Ed's court now, and that we
should simply wait for him (we are not under pressure, meaning that even
with an expired domain Ed will probably still have access to everything
we would need to clone the forum). Andrew's full scrape can be a plan B,
but a really unsatisfactory one compared to the other option.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: oooforum

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On 12/4/14, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 04/12/2014 Alexandro Colorado wrote:
>> Seems the domain already expire.
>
> This would not be an issue in itself. Yes, it would be good to preserve
> the old links, but preserving knowledge is better. So if we can get the
> dump and files from Ed we can setup the forum at Apache and give it a
> new URL.

wget doesnt preserve the links but do an html copy of the old website,
basically what you are asking from Ed. The thing is that anyone can do
this, using a simple: wget -m (mirror) oooforum.org. Of course
oooforum.org currently gives you a godaddy page.

Re: oooforum

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: oooforum

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Re: oooforum

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Re: oooforum

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: oooforum

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
On 12/05/2014 08:34 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>> On 05 Dec2014, at 19:41, Andreas Säger <sa...@t-online.de> wrote:
>>
>> Am 05.12.2014 um 01:15 schrieb Andrew Douglas Pitonyak:
>>> I did a scrape of the pages, and it is about 8GB last time I did it. Off
>>> hand, I expect that a huge chunk of that is SPAM, especially since most
>>> of the SPAMS have large graphics included. I considered writing a PERL
>>> script to clean that based on certain search criteria, but, it just
>>> feels like a huge annoyance to spend hours removing posts and then
>>> trolling the rest of the files to rearrange all of the links so that
>>> things continue to function. So, I did not start the clean-up process
>>> from my scrape.
>>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Last time when I was browsing oooforum.org, there was a distinct day
>> when the moderators gave up. Every posting since that day is spam or an
>> unanswered question. Everything before that day was more or less well
>> moderated.
>> Sorry, I don't recall which day it was but it is easy to find when you
>> search postings of active members.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
> I volunteer to help with moderation. I’m a moderator for the dev (and other?) lists, but never do the work, as usually others do it before I get to it—I live in a lucky timezone, I guess. Or I’m exceptionally lazy.
>
> -louis
Ed is currently considering his options as to what he would like to do.

In the meantime, I am happy to send a copy of my last scrape from around
September 1 to anyone who wants it providing I do not have too many
takers. That scrape took a few days to run based on the load and the
amount of spam. The posts are mostly spam and it is only a scrape. The
scrape contains links and similar, but you need to get through mostly
spam to find anything useful.

After Ed decides what he wants to do a better plan can be put in place.

Re: oooforum

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.

Re: oooforum

Posted by Andreas Säger <sa...@t-online.de>.

Re: oooforum

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
Well the next step would be to transfer this to apache and then do a
collaborative cleanup.

Re: oooforum

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 19:15:54 -0500
Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org> wrote:

> On 12/04/2014 12:36 PM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 11:11 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>
> > wrote:

> >> This is not an official resource of the project, so the project is trying
> >> to help simply as a benefit to existing users. Edward, who owns the domain
> >> name, was cooperative and we had a brief exchange of e-mails a few months
> >> ago.
> >>
> >> The outcome, with no need of dedicated discussions, is that the best
> >> solution is:
> >> 1) Edward keeps the oooforum.org domain name, since it has historically
> >> been his
> >> 2) We agree that Ed will point oooforum.org to something like
> >> forum-archive.openoffice.org (the name is made up, but I mean something
> >> under Apache control)
> >> 3) Ed provides Apache with a full database dump and a full files tree for
> >> the phpbb installation now powering oooforum.org
> >> 4) oooforum.org remains as a public archive, but gradually we encourage
> >> people to post to forum.openoffice.org (a neutral resource, but on Apache
> >> infrastructure and under control of the project)
> >>
> >> If Ed agrees with this, we can surely implement it reasonably quickly. But
> >> we will need action from his side for item #3.
> >>
> > ​Agreed and maybe he is under a lot of work. My question here is if he ever
> > got back, were there further outreach? And is it possible to share the
> > admin credentials with an AOO contributor like Andrew P. I heard he already
> > did an rsync of the site but was too large to hold on his client. Maybe AOO
> > could share a space to rsync there as a read-only. And then perform some
> > cleanup to tag spam posts and delete the pages. 100G should do it IMO.
>
> Problem is that it was not able to package up what was needed so that it
> could be downloaded. I have plenty of storage to have been able to
> download it.
>
> I did a scrape of the pages, and it is about 8GB last time I did it. Off
> hand, I expect that a huge chunk of that is SPAM, especially since most
> of the SPAMS have large graphics included. I considered writing a PERL
> script to clean that based on certain search criteria, but, it just
> feels like a huge annoyance to spend hours removing posts and then
> trolling the rest of the files to rearrange all of the links so that
> things continue to function. So, I did not start the clean-up process
> from my scrape.
>
> --
> Andrew Pitonyak
> My Macro Document: http://www.pitonyak.org/AndrewMacro.odt
> Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php

A possible method to speed a clean-up might be to leave the spamposting in place (to maintain the structure), but to delete the content, replacing it with a "Spam deleted" flag.  Not terribly elegant but could probably be done automatically.
--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: oooforum

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.