Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/14 17:11:45 UTC

svn: Failed to add file object of the same name already exists

I got the following error while trying to checkout a working directory
on my system. I am on a Windows XP machine, but I'm using the
Subversion Cygwin version 1.2. I get the error when I was checking out
a specific directory:

svn: Failed to add file 'aux.h': object of the same name already exists

I could not find a file called "aux.h" in the current directory or
anywhere on my system, so I have no idea where such a file could be
hiding. I've tried TortoiseSVN and the Windows client, but get the
same error. I've tried this on a Unix system, and it works find.

Any ideas?

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: svn: Failed to add file object of the same name already exists

Posted by Scott Palmer <sc...@2connected.org>.
On 14-Jul-05, at 4:19 PM, David Weintraub wrote:

> Boy, you learn something new everyday. You're right, I cannot make a
> file called "aux.*", "lpt1.*" or "con.*" on Windows.

also com1.* com2.*, and I think com3.*, com4.*

Absolutely brain-dead of Windows to do that of course, given that the
actual COM ports don't have anything after the port #, so there is no
name conflict at all except for the fact that the check appears to be
bogus.  I guess the MS-DOS core that the Windows UI runs on still
thinks of file names and extensions as totally independent things. ;-)

Scott

Re: svn: Failed to add file object of the same name already exists

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Phippard <Ma...@softlanding.com>.