Posted to general@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> on 2007/07/27 09:17:21 UTC

Re: New Incubator Proposal: Sanselan - a java image library

(cc'ing general@xmlgraphics to inform the team, discussion in the
incubator, please)

Interesting. I've added two additional relationships to the Wiki page:
Apache XML Graphics (Batik/FOP) and Apache Harmony.

I didn't know about Sanselan, but then we don't really have many open
wishes in XML Graphics land with the availability of ImageIO in all but
the most exotic environments. What we might profit from is a better way
to extract metadata (extents, resolution) from images before actually
decoding the image data (while reusing the InputStream). In FOP, we need
to know the extents and the resolution of an image for the layout engine.
Only during rendering do we need the actual image data either in raw or
decoded format, depending on the active output format.

Apache Harmony might be interested in additional codecs for the ImageIO
API.

I would like to see a statement in the proposal about the relationship
of Sanselan with ImageIO. Are there plans/ideas to make Sanselan
ImageIO-compatible?

On 27.07.2007 08:42:32 Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> together with Charles M. Chen I came up with a proposal to move the
> great open source java image library, Sanselan, to Apache.
>
> You'll find all the details here:
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/SanselanProposal
>
> Now, currently we are looking for interested parties, especially for
> mentors and a sponsoring project, perhaps commons would be a good place
> for sanselan?
>
> So if you are interested in this proposal, please add your name to the
> wiki page (I cc'ed committers to inform all committers, please continue
> the discussion just in the general incubator list).
>
> If anything is missing/unclear etc. let's discuss it :)
>
> Carsten
> --
> Carsten Ziegeler
> cziegeler@apache.org

Jeremias Maerki

Re: New Incubator Proposal: Sanselan - a java image library

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> (cc'ing general@xmlgraphics to inform the team, discussion in the
> incubator, please)
>
> Interesting. I've added two additional relationships to the Wiki page:
> Apache XML Graphics (Batik/FOP) and Apache Harmony.
Cool.

> I didn't know about Sanselan, but then we don't really have many open
> wishes in XML Graphics land with the availability of ImageIO in all but
> the most exotic environments. What we might profit from is a better way
> to extract metadata (extents, resolution) from images before actually
> decoding the image data (while reusing the InputStream). In FOP, we need
> to know the extents and the resolution of an image for the layout engine.
> Only during rendering do we need the actual image data either in raw or
> decoded format, depending on the active output format.
>
> Apache Harmony might be interested in additional codecs for the ImageIO
> API.
>
> I would like to see a statement in the proposal about the relationship
> of Sanselan with ImageIO. Are there plans/ideas to make Sanselan
> ImageIO-compatible?

Yes, good point - there is currently no plan for this (afaik), but it
would make sense to work on that I think.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org