Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Gorzsás Tamás <Go...@evosoft.hu> on 2006/03/13 11:20:26 UTC

SVG not depending on system fonts

Hi,

I use some fonts in my SVG, but it is not guaranteed that these fonts are available on all machines where my client is installed.

Is there a possibilty to embed the fonts in the SVG? How can I do that with Adobe Illustrator?

Thanks,

Tamas

Re: SVG not depending on system fonts

Posted by Andreas Neumann <ne...@karto.baug.ethz.ch>.
yes, it is possible. You can use SVG fonts.

The newest release of Adobe Illustrator (CS2) supports export of SVG
fonts, either for all glyphs used in the document or for the whole font.
So does CorelDraw.

But you can also convert truetype to SVG fonts with Batik (see
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/ttf2svg.html) or you can use the
free fontforge program to convert any font-format to SVG fonts.

See also the SVG spec for embedding fonts:
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/fonts.html

Andreas

Gorzsás Tamás wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use some fonts in my SVG, but it is not guaranteed that these fonts
> are available on all machines where my client is installed.
>
> Is there a possibilty to embed the fonts in the SVG? How can I do that
> with Adobe Illustrator?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Tamas

Andreas Neumann
Institute of Cartography
ETH Zurich
Wolfgang-Paulistrasse 15
CH-8093  Zurich, Switzerland

Phone: ++41-44-633 3031, Fax: ++41-44-633 1153
e-mail: neumann@karto.baug.ethz.ch
www: http://www.carto.net/neumann/
SVG.Open: http://www.svgopen.org/
Carto.net: http://www.carto.net/