Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Matthew <ma...@matthewboehm.com> on 2006/06/15 18:31:39 UTC

nothing vs Registry vs module

Firstly, real world comparison between no mod_perl and using Registry:
Simple cgi, using Apache::DBI and CGI and HTML::Template. Loading 1
template file and doing about 30 template param replacements.

Using "ab" to do 500 requests at 2 concurrents took about 47 seconds.
Simply adding ModPerl::Registry to that directory and rebooting web
server, results down to 2.3 seconds!  Amazing.

Secondly, seeing such a speed increase above makes me wonder the big
differences between ModPerl::Registry and a handler module. Am I going
to see an even more significant speed increase doing as a module?

Thanks,
Matthew

Re: nothing vs Registry vs module

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
Matthew wrote:
> Firstly, real world comparison between no mod_perl and using Registry:
> Simple cgi, using Apache::DBI and CGI and HTML::Template. Loading 1
> template file and doing about 30 template param replacements.
>
> Using "ab" to do 500 requests at 2 concurrents took about 47 seconds.
> Simply adding ModPerl::Registry to that directory and rebooting web
> server, results down to 2.3 seconds!  Amazing.
>
> Secondly, seeing such a speed increase above makes me wonder the big
> differences between ModPerl::Registry and a handler module. Am I going
> to see an even more significant speed increase doing as a module?

while these results are quite old, the relative differences should be
pretty much the same

  http://chamas.com/bench/#2000

HTH

--Geoff

Re: nothing vs Registry vs module

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@pccc.com>.
The vast majority of the speedup is in the compilation / interpreter
loadtime.  You will not see a another 20x increase in speed switching to a
handler module.  I bemoan the fact that some of our shared hosting servers
run Perl and PHP via suexec for EVERY call.  Ouch!

Regards,
KAM