Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org> on 2018/04/04 16:45:10 UTC

Time to delete mifosio

Hey all,

Details:

mifosio has become a metaphorical "attractive nuisance" (1).  Some of
the repositories there have over 40 forks.  Some people have made
issue reports or pull requests against those repositories which should
have been made against Fineract CN.

I've taken one last stroll thru those repos in which I did the following:
A.) Checked that the latest changeset is in the corresponding apache repository.
B.) Checked that all of the data from the wiki is in the apache confluence.
C.) Checked there are no outstanding PRs -- if they are merge them over.
D.) Checked there are no outstanding issues -- if they are close them
and request the user to create new issues in the apache Jira.

I had already done A and B, but I obviously missed some, so it was
worthwhile to go through it again.

The cases in which I had to cleanup were:
* demo-server:
   - copied over liseri's changes
   - commented on open ticket (I didn't have the necessary rights in
that case to close the ticket) to direct the github user to apache
ticketing and apache mailing lists.
* command
  - pulled in 2 missing changesets from before the move (total 8
lines, so no biggy)
* default-setup
  - merged 1 PR to fineract-cn-default-setup (A 1 liner so not a big
deal.).  The PR's still open on mifosio because I don't have
privileges in that project.
* identity
  - closed an old issue.
* portfolio
  - closed 3 old issues.

The only repositories that I didn't check were the three integration
test repositories.  These are all fairly out-of-date, and mostly just
duplicate things that are already found in the demo-server.  Some of
them don't even compile in their current form.  I recommend deleting
these without replacement.

Ed: I believe you are the only one who can delete these repositories.
If you would do so quickly, you would save me having to spend *hours*
going through these repositories carefully again.  Because these are
public repositories, the 40 plus forks will continue to exist, so you
aren't risking anyone's work.  And for just in case, I did take a
'snapshot' under a user named mifosio-04-04-2018, so we won't lose
anything.

If you can't do this today or tomorrow, Ed, please give me the
necessary privileges in mifosio to do it myself.  My github account is
myrle-krantz.

Best Regards,
Myrle

1.) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attractive_nuisance_doctrine

Re: Time to delete mifosio

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
Hey Awasum,

The artifact ids are already updated to apache; I did that a while
back.  If you find an artifact id that I missed in the gradle files
feel free to submit a PR.  The package names still need to be updated.
When someone changed the package names in one library, and I pointed
out backwards compatibility, my intention was not to stop work, but to
insist that it be done carefully.  When you change a library you need
to change all the things that depend on it at the same time.
Otherwise those other things don't compile.  This will remain true
until we get an artifactory into our build process and start
incrementing the versions.  But I do believe we should change the
package names before we do that work.

Before we do that though we should look through any existing pull
requests.  They'll, potentially, be harder to merge after we change
package names because changing the package names will touch almost
every java file in all 30 repositories.  I saw that you've already
done this Awasum, and I know that we have some work to do there.

Best Regards,
Myrle

Re: Time to delete mifosio

Posted by Awasum Yannick <aw...@apache.org>.
Hello Myrle, Ed,

Re: Time to delete mifosio

Posted by Ebenezer Graham <eg...@alustudent.com>.

Re: Time to delete mifosio

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
Awesome Ed!  Thank you!

Myrle

Re: Time to delete mifosio

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.
I was entering wrong organization name (using display name of Mifos I/O)
instead of mifosio. It's now deleted.

Ed

Re: Time to delete mifosio

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.