Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by adfel70 <ad...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/07 08:57:59 UTC

Re: Soft commit and flush

I understand the bottom line that soft commits are about visibility, hard
commits are about durability. I am just trying to gain better understanding
what happens under the hood...
2 more related questions you made me think of:
1. Does the NRTCachingDirectoryFactory relevant for both types of commit, or
just for hard commit?
2. If soft commit does not flush - all data exists in RAM until we call hard
commit? If so, using soft commit without calling hard commit could cause OOE
... ?

Re: Soft commit and flush

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
bq:  If so, using soft commit without calling hard commit could cause OOM

no. Aside from anything you have configured for auto(hard) commit, the
ramBufferSizeMB in solrconfig.xml will flush the in-memory structures out
to the segments when the size reaches this limit. It won't _close_ the
current segment, so it won't be permanent, but it'll limit memory consumption.

Best,
Erick

Re: Soft commit and flush

Posted by Guido Medina <gu...@temetra.com>.

Re: Soft commit and flush

Posted by adfel70 <ad...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, by "OOE" I meant Out of memory exception...

Re: Soft commit and flush

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
bq: Does the NRTCachingDirectoryFactory relevant for both types of commit, or
just for hard commit

Don't know the code deeply, but NRT==Near Real Time == Soft commit I'd guess.

bq: If soft commit does not flush...

soft commit flushes the transaction log. On restart if the content of
the tlog isn't
in the index, then it's replayed to catch up the index. OOE? Out Of Energy? You
can optionally set up soft commits to fsync the tlog if you want to
eliminate the
remote possibility that you have an op-system (not JVM) crash between the time
the JVM passes the write off to the op system and the op system writes the
bits to disk.

Best,
Erick