Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> on 1998/09/09 16:11:43 UTC

Scope of Include directive?

Does anyone see any reason why the Include directive shouldn't
be available everywhere, including .htaccess files?

#ken	P-)}

Re: Scope of Include directive?

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 09, 1998 at 10:11:43AM -0400, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> > Does anyone see any reason why the Include directive shouldn't
> > be available everywhere, including .htaccess files?
>
> I haven't looked at the code for this possiblilty, but could there be
> a DoS from setting up an Include loop?

Good point.

You'd need some way to walk up the nesting and compare ino/dev... or just
have a max nesting limit (more portable).

Dean

Re: Scope of Include directive?

Posted by Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>.
On Wed, Sep 09, 1998 at 10:11:43AM -0400, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Does anyone see any reason why the Include directive shouldn't
> be available everywhere, including .htaccess files?

I haven't looked at the code for this possiblilty, but could there be
a DoS from setting up an Include loop?

.htaccess:

Include /home/luser/public_html/.htaccess

"Violence is the first refuge of the violent." - Aaron Allston

Re: Scope of Include directive?

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <co...@Apache.Org>.
Dana Carson wrote:

> > Does anyone see any reason why the Include directive shouldn't
> > be available everywhere, including .htaccess files?
>
> It would be convenient but the security possibilities make me nervous. I
> suppose you can figure that anyone that uses someone elses file included in
> a file that does access control can't really care.

For now, I'll just open it up to use anywhere in the server
config files.

For your point above, I think careful selection of which
overrides
must be allowed in order to use it in .htaccess files should
address the issue.  Mmm?

Posted by Dana Carson <dc...@access.digex.net>.

--
Dana Carson