Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/03 22:35:41 UTC

[jchevm] configuring gdb to ignore SIGSEGV

Enrico,

I am able to run "hello world" at the prompt line on Cywin.  But when
I run it under gdb, it hits a SIGSEGV.  The error messages don't hint
that signals need to be configured.  The uninformed can spend lots of
time trying figure out these details.  It might be useful to put this
info in the HOWTO document you are writing.

The following configuration allows JCHEVM to run properly under gdb:

$ gdb  --args ./jc.exe  --classpath=. --bootclasspath=/usr/local/unzipped_glibj
:/usr/local/unzipped_jc:. hello

(gdb) handle SIGSEGV nostop
(gdb) handle SIGSEGV noprint
(gdb) run

--
Weldon Washburn
Intel Middleware Products Division

Re: [jchevm] configuring gdb to ignore SIGSEGV

Posted by Enrico Migliore <en...@fatti.com>.
Weldon Washburn wrote:

>Enrico,
>
>I am able to run "hello world" at the prompt line on Cywin.  But when
>I run it under gdb, it hits a SIGSEGV.  The error messages don't hint
>that signals need to be configured.  The uninformed can spend lots of
>time trying figure out these details.  It might be useful to put this
>info in the HOWTO document you are writing.
>
>The following configuration allows JCHEVM to run properly under gdb:
>
>$ gdb  --args ./jc.exe  --classpath=. --bootclasspath=/usr/local/unzipped_glibj
>:/usr/local/unzipped_jc:. hello
>
>(gdb) handle SIGSEGV nostop
>(gdb) handle SIGSEGV noprint
>(gdb) run
>

>--
>Weldon Washburn
>Intel Middleware Products Division

Hi Weldon,

 thanks for pointing that out. When I debugged JCHEVM, I noticed that
SIGSEV signal was issued by the PTHREAD library and I rembember that one
guy, a month ago, told me to read a document regarding this problem on
Cygwin. Therefore, for now, I'll write your suggestion in the document,
but we'll have to fix it soon.

I'll try also to run GCC with the "-no-cygwin" option, which should
instruct the compiler to build a Windows executable that doesn't need
the cygwin1.dll to run.

Enrico