Posted to dev@tinkerpop.apache.org by Marko Rodriguez <ok...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/16 14:38:38 UTC

Re: [TinkerPop] [TinkerPop3] The TinkerPop3 Roadmap to GA.

Hello David,

We are limiting the degrees of freedom when it comes to arbitrary step definitions. Given that TP3 traversal strategies (which will include TP3 "graph strategies") are only aware of TP3 steps, we are providing a library of step that we feel encompass all desired operations on a graph. When a user wants to create their own DSL, they should have it compile down to the provided set of TP3 steps. This way, known optimizations on those steps and "decorations" (e.g. ReadOnlyStrategy, IdStrategy, etc.) will work. The user is not forced to do so, but then TP3 strategies will not work for their steps and they will have to write their own strategies.

In short, recommended, but not required.

HTH,
Marko.

http://markorodriguez.com

Posted by Matt Franklin <m....@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 5:01 PM Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Mentors, the first item in Marko's list for the "Roadmap to GA" was to
> "Coordinate
> with Apache mentors to get release approval.".  I saw some response to this
> as it related to Neo4j and we will certainly sort that out prior to release
> of M8 on 4/5.  I was wondering if there was anything else that you all
> needed in trying to decided if M8 is releasable under the "Apache Way"?  Is
> there any other information you need? a process you go through?

It is the responsibility of the PPMC to execute the release process.  While
this could include a mentor, generally one of the other PPMC members acts
as release manager.

The first release a community makes at Apache is generally the most
difficult, as the community is establishing procedures and working through
IP/Licensing issues in their codebase.  For more information on the release
process, I encourage you to look at the Apache Incubator release
documentation [1], the Apache Release policy [2] and any existing projects
that have defined a good release process.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html
[2] http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html

> Perhaps a more simple way to put it is: aside from the Neo4j issue, what
> other showstoppers do we have that would need to be resolved in order for
> us to successfully release for 4/5?

I am sure the other mentors and I can do a once-over through the current
code base, but likely many of the issues will surface during the first
release vote.

Posted by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>.