Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca> on 1999/02/09 01:15:29 UTC

Hiding the console window on Win95/98 - solution

One of the frequent complaints I have gotten about the Win32 port running
on Win95/98 is that it leaves a console window open.  People tend to
prefer a little button in the taskbar to control things.

A guy I know whipped up a quick solution, albeit in Delphi, that works
very well.  Have a look at it here:

  http://www.programmersreference.com/apache/

I have been using it on a Win98 box for a week or so without problems.  We
could include the binary directly in the Win32 distribution, make it a
separate download, or perhaps write the C equivalent into that apache.exe
stub we have.

Opinions?

To try it, just download the .ZIP file and expand it into your c:\apache
directory and then run ApacheCtl.exe from there.

-Rasmus

RE: Hiding the console window on Win95/98 - solution

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <la...@hyperreal.org>.
According to Rasmus Lerdorf:

>  One of the frequent complaints I have gotten about the Win32 port running
>  on Win95/98 is that it leaves a console window open.  People tend to
>  prefer a little button in the taskbar to control things.

BTW, someone mentioned a solution in PR#3456

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht               - A computer without COBOL and Fortran
lars@hyperreal.org         - is like a piece of chocolate cake without