Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2006/10/18 05:25:02 UTC

Atlanta JUG

I had the opportunity to speak to some folks at the Atlanta JUG
tonight and thought I'd share the feedback.

First off, the JUG was held at the Atlanta Holiday Inn and was
located in two adjacent rooms.  I can't recall the exact number but I
think there were about 60 people in attendance.  It was one of the
better organized JUG's I've had the opportunity to attend.  Burr
Sutter was an excellent host and did a great job pulling the event
together.

There were a few folks who figured this was JBoss country and that it
might be a "dangerous" trip :)  I'm happy to report there were
several JBoss employees at the JUG but they were very welcoming and
we had a great chat after the event.  It was interesting swapping
stories about Open Source and comparing and contrasting the JBoss
model versus Apache.  I really enjoyed it.

All in all people were really interested in Geronimo and had most of
their experience on JBoss.  They liked the modular architecture and
some of the things that were coming in 1.2 (caching, 1.5 support, and
possible OpenJPA).  They also liked the Yoko option to give
flexibility in changing VMs.  I was surprised that many of the folks
used CORBA and this was an important function for them.  I was also
surprised when several of the folks indicated that they used EJBs and
XA 2-phase commit.  I told them about D Jencks Tx Manager and told
them I'd relay their level of interest.

There were several people that were interested in JEE 5 support and I
told them that D Blevins and folks were working away and we'd like to
get something in their hands sooner than later.

There was also a short discussion about why GBeans (from one of the
JBoss guys) and we talked about the progression of GBeans and pointed
them to the dev list and Dain for the more detailed discussion.  They
seemed to understand our additional requirements and the conversation
was again really productive.

Someone came up to me and mentioned that Intalio was shipping
Geronimo and using it.  I didn't know this.

All in all it was a great meeting and in Atlanta people are waiting
to see great things from Geronimo.  Just thought I'd provide the
feedback.

Cheers.

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org

Re: Atlanta JUG

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
Awesome!  Sounds like a great meeting and presentation!

Jeff