Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Pablo Estrada <pa...@google.com> on 2018/03/20 22:40:42 UTC

From Beam Summit - On SDKs and Contributor Experience

Hello everyone,
at the Beam Summit in San Francisco, a number of folks had a breakout
session where we considered questions of the experience for new
contributors in Beam. First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for
participating with your insightful comments and discussion.
Along with Rafael, we tried to gather a few notes, and I'll start a couple
email threads on the list to discuss them.

The general theme was documentation and attracting new contributors, as
well as communication and expectations around SDK features. Some themes
within this were:
- Around JIRAs and assignation of work
- Around PR reviews and latency
- Around SDKs, features and communication
- Some other isolated ideas

I've gathered notes in this doc, so please feel free to take a look and add
your comments or points that you want considered:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WaK39qrrG_P50FOMHifJhrdHZYmjOOf8MgoObwCZI50/edit

In the next few days I'll start email threads to tackle each one
independently, and try to discuss some possible action items with the
community.
Best!
-P.

--
Got feedback? go/pabloem-feedback

Re: From Beam Summit - On SDKs and Contributor Experience

Posted by Alexey Romanenko <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hello Pablo,

Thank you for sharing this!

As a recent contributor I can confirm most of the issues that you raised in this document, especially Jira and PR unclearness. In the same time, current Beam contribution guide is one of the most detailed and full that I’ve ever seen before and it helped me a lot.

WBR,
Alexey

Posted by Etienne Chauchot <ec...@apache.org>.
Hi,
I realized that my comments are tagged Anonymous on the doc even though my session was opened, so here they are. They
are all related to code review part of the doc:
1. publishing a list of topics of interest/knowledge per committer to help pick up a reviewer?
2. should we use reviewable or github review?

Etienne

Posted by Etienne Chauchot <ec...@apache.org>.