Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Kapil Kumar <ka...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/15 02:07:11 UTC

Stuck at BUILDING.txt - (3) Building Tomcat @VERSION_MAJOR_MINOR@

Hello everyone,

I followed the instructions in BUILDING.txt and configured JDK and Ant.

But I am stuck at  (3) Building Tomcat @VERSION_MAJOR_MINOR@

Not sure about what needs to be done and where the below file needs to be
created.

1. The build is controlled by creating a ${tomcat.source}/build.properties

    file.

Regards

Kapil Kumar

---

RE: Stuck at BUILDING.txt - (3) Building Tomcat @VERSION_MAJOR_MINOR@

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
@VERSION_MAJOR_MINOR@

> I executed "ant test" and since past 1 hour it has been executing.
> I have been getting the below prompts in terminal.

You need to stop trying to attach images to your e-mails, since the list
strips them off (along with most other attachments).  Best to send in plain
text and paste inline whatever text is needed.

Also, it's not necessary to CC: members of the mailing list - replying to
the list suffices.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.

Re: Stuck at BUILDING.txt - (3) Building Tomcat @VERSION_MAJOR_MINOR@

Posted by "Igal @ Lucee.org" <ig...@lucee.org>.
On 10/16/2017 2:47 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 15/10/17 20:09, Igal @ Lucee.org wrote:
>> On 10/15/2017 12:06 PM, Kapil Kumar wrote:
>>> Does that mean I could skip this part!
>> If you didn't make any changes that can break Tomcat then you can skip
>> that part, yes.
> It can be hard to judge when it is a good idea to run tests and/or which
> tests to run - especially for someone new to the code base.

True.  I was basing this on the assumption that the OP has not made any
changes at all,
which he later confirmed.  I should have kept my statement as "If you
didn't make any changes.".

> <snip/>
>
> It is worth ensuring you run the validate target after any changes as
> that will pick up a lot of the trivial formatting issues that can make
> patches more work to integrate. Also, don't forget to update the
> documentation if necessary and to add an entry to the changelog.

I actually realized yesterday that even changes to the documentation can
break the build,
when I forgot to close a `</p>` which caused the XML to be malformed.

Best,

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer
Lucee.org <http://lucee.org/>

Re: Stuck at BUILDING.txt - (3) Building Tomcat @VERSION_MAJOR_MINOR@

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 15/10/17 20:09, Igal @ Lucee.org wrote:
> On 10/15/2017 12:06 PM, Kapil Kumar wrote:
>> Thanks, got you. Plain text emails only.
>>
>> Does that mean I could skip this part!
>
> If you didn't make any changes that can break Tomcat then you can skip
> that part, yes.
>
> If you made changes that might have broken something, then this part
> will test many known issues and alert you if something was "broken",
> i.e. not working as expected due to your changes.

It can be hard to judge when it is a good idea to run tests and/or which
tests to run - especially for someone new to the code base. A good
starting point is run the unit tests for at least the NIO connector for
every package where you have made changes.

One thing I will say is don't worry about making mistakes. One of the
hardest things to do working in open source is accepting that sometimes
you get things wrong and when you do it happens in public in full view
of everyone.

It is worth ensuring you run the validate target after any changes as
that will pick up a lot of the trivial formatting issues that can make
patches more work to integrate. Also, don't forget to update the
documentation if necessary and to add an entry to the changelog.

Mark

Re: Stuck at BUILDING.txt - (3) Building Tomcat @VERSION_MAJOR_MINOR@

Posted by "Igal @ Lucee.org" <ig...@lucee.org>.
On 10/15/2017 12:06 PM, Kapil Kumar wrote:
> Thanks, got you. Plain text emails only.
>
> Does that mean I could skip this part!

If you didn't make any changes that can break Tomcat then you can skip
that part, yes.

If you made changes that might have broken something, then this part
will test many known issues and alert you if something was "broken",
i.e. not working as expected due to your changes.

Regards,

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer
Lucee.org <http://lucee.org/>