Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Tindell <te...@dcf.state.fl.us> on 2008/02/07 15:01:26 UTC

BindException

What are some common causes of BindException (Cannot assign requested
address: JVM_Bind) trying to run a boker?  If I bind to
tcp//localhost:61616, it works fine but when I try to bind to another
machine, I get the BindException.  What configuration is required on the
computer I am trying to bind to?

        BrokerService broker = new BrokerService();
        broker.setUseJmx(true);
        broker.addConnector("tcp://ids:61616");
        broker.start();

        // now lets wait forever to avoid the JVM terminating immediately
        Object lock = new Object();
        synchronized (lock) {
            lock.wait();
        }

Re: BindException

Posted by Tindell <te...@dcf.state.fl.us>.
I think I am getting them confused.
If you want the processing done on a remote pc, do you need to run the
consumer and broker on the remote pc?
Where are the resources for processing if you have the broker running on a
remote pc but the consumer and producer are local? Are the resources being
used whereever the consumer is running?

Re: BindException

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Those are server ports your binding.  It only makes sense to bind to
addresses that are on your machine.  So localhost is valid or any
host/ip address that your machine has a network interface for.

Clients can connect to remote servers tho.  Perhaps your getting those
2 terms confused?

Regards,
Hiram

On Feb 7, 2008 9:01 AM, Tindell <te...@dcf.state.fl.us> wrote:

> What are some common causes of BindException (Cannot assign requested
> address: JVM_Bind) trying to run a boker?  If I bind to
> tcp//localhost:61616, it works fine but when I try to bind to another
> machine, I get the BindException.  What configuration is required on the
> computer I am trying to bind to?
>
>         BrokerService broker = new BrokerService();
>         broker.setUseJmx(true);
>         broker.addConnector("tcp://ids:61616");
>         broker.start();
>
>         // now lets wait forever to avoid the JVM terminating immediately
>         Object lock = new Object();
>         synchronized (lock) {
>             lock.wait();
>         }