Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jeroen van der Wal <je...@stromboli.it> on 2009/01/14 14:00:06 UTC

Using Launchpad for translations - approval required

We've extended the code which was contributed to Jira issue
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-2008 and think we now have
the perfect solution for managing OFBiz translations. It uses
Launchpad https://translations.launchpad.net/ to host the
translations. The good thing about Launchpad is that it free and it
doesn't require us to set up and manage any infrastructure. With
Launchpad we can trivially avoid the legwork involved in making OFBiz
available in as many languages as possible.

The solution requires the following steps:
1. Export the label files (.xml) to a Gettext template file (.pot) and
for each language a translation file (.po);
2. Upload the files to the OFbiz translation project on Launchpad;
3. Have the community (also non-technical people) add, modify and
comment translations through a web-interface;
4. Download language files (.po) from Launchpad
5. Import and merge translations into OFBiz label files.

Our patch handles step 1 and 5. When new labels are added to OFBiz
only the template files has to be uploaded to Launchpad and will be
made available to the communities to be translated.

Now the formal part: We tried setting up a project on Launchpad but
were contacted by the Launchpad admin to ask approval of the "project
author" to set up the translation project. The reason for this is to
prevent angry project authors and  dead translation projects. More
about the Launchpad translation policy can be found here
https://help.launchpad.net/TranslationsImportPolicy

After the project author (David?) has given approval we will set up
the Launchpad translation project and hopefully bring translations to
a higher level.

Thanks,

Jeroen van der Wal

Re: Using Launchpad for translations - approval required

Posted by Jeroen van der Wal <jv...@stromboli.it>.
On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 12:54 AM, David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>
wrote:

> In this case would the labels in Launchpad be the primary labels? In other
> words would all label changes need to happen there in order to avoid some
> sort of manual synchronization between changes done in OFBiz and changes
> done in Launchpad?
It's just additional tooling being provided to OFBiz translators and doesn't
change current practices. It might be possible that some languages decide to
use Launchpad to collaborate on a translation while others stick with the
current way of manually editing the *Labels.xml files. I would suggest that
every language has a coordinator who reviews the work in Launchpad and
provides a patch (or even better a .po file) when he (or she) decides the
translation is ready.

> If so, then everything I wrote applies. Labels are "source" just as much
as
> anything else.
>
> The only way this could be used is if every time someone wants to use it
> they have to start with the labels in OFBiz, load them into Launchpad,
make
> changes, export back to OFBiz, and then to get them into the project
through
> a commit (if a committer) or by submitting a patch (if not a committer).
this is exactly what I propose

> In other words, the SVN repo needs to be the master repository with all
> things merging there, it can't be Launchpad as a repository (managing
> revisions there, etc) with periodic syncing done by committers.
>
> Is that more clear?
I think we could make it much clearer if we test it for a limited time and
then vote about it

> -David
>

> On Jan 19, 2009, at 4:10 PM, Jeroen van der Wal wrote:
>
>> Good questions, I'll try to address them:
>>
>> There will never be a dependence on the Launchpad infrastructure, no
>> OFBiz source code is stored or maintained outside ASF boundaries and
>> only current committers can commit changes to OFBiz.
>>
>> Launchpad (there are alternatives too...) is only used for supporting
>> the translation process. With the patch we've provided you can export
>> the labels to a Gettext format and uploaded them to Launchpad
>> periodically. After translation the (.po) files containing the
>> translated labels can be download from Launchpad and merged back into
>> OFBiz.
>>
>> I might repeating myself but the main goal to set up an environment
>> like Launchpad is to separate the translation process from software
>> development and provide a place where it's easy to collaborate on
>> OFBiz translations and provide OFBiz in as many languages as possible.
>> Also non-committers could join these translation projects. Another
>> benefit is that developers developers and translators don't get in the
>> way of each other and cause merge conflicts like the situation is
>> today.
>>
>> There's still a lot to sort out an therefore my only request right now
>> is to set up a test for a limited time to see if this could work for
>> OFBiz.
>>
>> -Jeroen
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 10:57 PM, David E Jones
>> <da...@hotwaxmedia.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't want to discourage looking into this, but if I understand right
>>> this
>>> proposal would result in the main source of the localized labels being
>>> Launchpad. This means there is a place outside of SVN where the source
>>> artifacts live, and that is a problem. It also means infrastructure the
>>> project depends on that is outside of the ASF infra. Part of the reason
>>> that
>>> is not allowed is because it becomes a liability being outside of ASF
>>> control, and extra effort to manage since all committers will need
access
>>> it. And what about non-committers, would they be allowed access to it?

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jeroen van der Wal <jv...@stromboli.it>.

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
I don't want to discourage looking into this, but if I understand
right this proposal would result in the main source of the localized
labels being Launchpad. This means there is a place outside of SVN
where the source artifacts live, and that is a problem. It also means
infrastructure the project depends on that is outside of the ASF
infra. Part of the reason that is not allowed is because it becomes a
liability being outside of ASF control, and extra effort to manage
since all committers will need access to it. And what about non-

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

From: "Jeroen van der Wal" <jv...@stromboli.it>

Posted by Jeroen van der Wal <jv...@stromboli.it>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.