Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Hunter Hillegas <li...@lastonepicked.com> on 2001/09/13 18:06:38 UTC

Strange Tomcat <-> Apache Configuration

I am using Tomcat 3.2.3 in conjunction with JBoss and Apache in front...

First off, my configuration works just fine. My problem is that from the
Apache conf file, I don't see why it works. When I change it to what I think
it *should* be, it doesn't work anymore...

Here are some details:

Apache 1.3.20 w/ mod_jk
JBoss 2.4 w/ embedded Tomcat 3.2.3

Some env variables:

JBOSS_HOME = /usr/local/jboss
TOMCAT_HOME = /usr/local/jboss/tomcat

I also have an old, inactive (i.e. not running) copy of Tomcat at
/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2

Here is part of my *working* Apace conf file:

<VIRTUALHOST x.x.x.x>
DocumentRoot /server1/libmedia
ServerName www.liberationmedia.com
ServerAlias www.liberationmedia.com liberationmedia.com
CustomLog /server1/libmedia/logs/apache.log combined
ServerAdmin hunter@guerrillabroadcasting.com
Alias /libmedia "/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2/webapps/libmedia"
<Directory "/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2/webapps/libmedia">
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
</Directory>
JkMount /libmedia/servlet/* ajp12
JkMount /libmedia/*.jsp ajp12
JkMount /libmedia/* ajp12
<Location "/libmedia/WEB-INF/">
    AllowOverride None
    deny from all
</Location>
<Location "/libmedia/META-INF/">
    AllowOverride None
    deny from all
</Location>
</VIRTUALHOST>

Here you see that the "Directory" directive is pointing at the INACTIVE
version of Tomcat. This copy of Tomcat is not running. Changes to the files
in it's webapps directory DO NOT change the running site, only changes to
the files under the TOMCAT_HOME specified above do.

If I change the directory directive to point to the "real" tomcat directory,
Apache returns a not available error (as if Tomcat wasn't even started).

This makes absolutely no sense to me and I don't feel comfortable with a
configuration I don't understand.

Any help is greatly appreciated.