Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by cass savy <ca...@gmail.com> on 2015/12/23 23:06:42 UTC

Write/read heavy usecase in one cluster

How do you determine if we can share cluster in prod for 2 different
applications

 1. Has anybody shared cluster in prod a write heavy use case that captures
user login info (few 100 rpm)  and hardly performs few reads per day
and
 Use case that is read heavy use case that is 92% read with 10k requests
per min,higher consistency level of quorum

2. Use of  in-memory tables for lookup tables  that will be referred to for
every request prior to writing to transactional tables. Has anyone ised it
in prod and what were the issues encountered. what will be tuning/reco to
follow for prod

3. Use of multiple data directories for different applications like having
different data partitions for write/read heavy and one separate for
commitlog/caches

4. plan to use C* 2.1 with vnodes/murmur for above usecases. Need feedback
of if people have tried tuning heap size, off-heap parameters in c* 2.0 and
above. in prod

5. Java 8 with c* 2.0 and higher pros/cons especially with G1GC garbage
collection

Re: Write/read heavy usecase in one cluster

Posted by Jonathan Haddad <jo...@jonhaddad.com>.
While I would normally suggest splitting different systems to different
hardware, you can easily get away with using 3 rather small machines for
this workload.  Just be sure to not use SimpleStrategy so you can split the
keyspaces out to different clusters later if you need to.

Posted by Robert Wille <rw...@fold3.com>.