Posted to docs@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de> on 2003/04/29 11:51:53 UTC

[Ann] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Milestone 1 Release

The Apache Cocoon team is proud to announce the new release
of Apache Cocoon.

Check out the Cocoon website http://cocoon.apache.org for more
information.

Apache Cocoon is an XML framework that raises the usage of
XML and XSLT technologies for server applications to a new level.
Designed for performance and scalability around pipelined SAX
processing, Cocoon offers a flexible environment based on the
separation of concerns between content, logic and style.
A centralized configuration system and sophisticated caching
top this all off and help you to create, deploy and maintain
rock-solid XML server applications.

Today, most web engineers consider XML as the key for an improved
web model and web site managers see XML as a way to reduce costs
and ease production. In an era where services rather than software
will be key for economic success, a better and less expensive model
for web publishing will be a winner, especially one based on open
standards.

The Apache Cocoon Team

Carsten Ziegeler
Open Source Group, S&N AG
http://radio.weblogs.com/0107211/

Re: [Ann] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Milestone 1 Release

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Le Mardi, 29 avr 2003, à 12:24 Europe/Zurich, Konstantin Piroumian a
écrit :

> ..Why don't we follow the way of Tomcat and Struts? Tomcat has separate
> documentation for 3.x, 4.0.x, 4.1 and 5.x versions and it's fine,
> because
> one never knows which version he will need for the next work.

Good idea, but I have no idea how easy/hard this would be for whoever
updates the website.

The wget thing is not practical for GPRS users I agree, but it is very
easy to do, that's why I suggested it.

-Bertrand

Re: [Ann] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Milestone 1 Release

Posted by Konstantin Piroumian <kp...@apache.org>.
Think about us poor GPRS users who pay for downloaded megabytes ;)

Why don't we follow the way of Tomcat and Struts? Tomcat has separate
documentation for 3.x, 4.0.x, 4.1 and 5.x versions and it's fine, because
one never knows which version he will need for the next work.

Konstantin

From: "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bd...@codeconsult.ch>
Le Mardi, 29 avr 2003, à 12:07 Europe/Zurich, Carsten Ziegeler a écrit :

> ..I think we should update the site to the 2.1 docs. What do others
> think?

+1

Should we wget the current site into a zip file before?
This could be made available in the download directory:
cocoon-2.0x.website.zip?

-Bertrand

Re: [Ann] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Milestone 1 Release

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Konstantin Piroumian wrote:

> Shouldn't we create a separate version of Cocoon site for 2.0 and 2.1
> branches?
> Now Changes on the site reflect the 2.0.5 version and the announcement
> doesn't mention any changes.

Yes, I know - we discussed this several times and came to the conclusion
that the full list of changes from the status.xml is too much for the
user. We decided to flag changes, but as this has not happened yet,
we do not mention the changes.

> Maybe its Ok for a milestone release, but where the users will
> learn what's
> new and what has changed in this version?

I think we should update the site to the 2.1 docs. What do others
think?

Carsten

Re: [Ann] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Milestone 1 Release

Posted by Konstantin Piroumian <kp...@apache.org>.
Shouldn't we create a separate version of Cocoon site for 2.0 and 2.1
branches?
Now Changes on the site reflect the 2.0.5 version and the announcement
doesn't mention any changes.

Maybe its Ok for a milestone release, but where the users will learn what's
new and what has changed in this version?

Anyway, good job Carsten! Thanks.

Regards,
  Konstantin

From: "Carsten Ziegeler" <cz...@s-und-n.de>

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.
Thanks, Carsten!
--
Torsten

Re: [Ann] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Milestone 1 Release

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Carsten Ziegeler" <cz...@s-und-n.de> wrote:

> I have but some links in there, but to be honest, I haven't
> understood the mirroring concept yet...

Uh... Hold on... There's a fwordup with the mirrors... Will report back...

    Pier (gone fixin' stuff)

RE: [Ann] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Milestone 1 Release

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [Ann] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Milestone 1 Release

Posted by Martin Holz <ho...@fiz-chemie.de>.
Torsten Schlabach <TS...@gmx.net> writes:

> Also: If this is a decision: fine. But if anyone asked me for a comment: It
> will keep people off who want to quickly test what this is all about as they
> can no longer just download and explode the WAR but need a full ant / java
> compiler environment which is nontrivial for example on windows.
> In my view: We write software for *users* to *use* it, not for developers to
> build examples and enjoy them.

You need a compiler anyway, if you use XSP. ant is shipped with cocoon.

Martin

--
Martin Holz     <ho...@fiz-chemie.de>

Softwareentwicklung / Vernetztes Studium - Chemie
FIZ CHEMIE Berlin
Franklinstrasse 11
D-10587 Berlin

Re: [Ann] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Milestone 1 Release

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
From: Torsten Schlabach [mailto:TSchlabach@gmx.net]

> In my view: We write software for *users* to *use* it, not for
> developers to build examples and enjoy them.

Correct: we write software for users to use it.

I'm sure you remember all the users complaining about "how to have a
clean sitemap". I thought that the best way of making our software
useable for users was to allow them to install it at their needs.

And I think a 5 (easy!) steps installation stage is the best we could
come up with *without* redesining the entire component model inside
Cocoon (which will happen for Cocoon 2.2 anyway).

If you don't like what you see, we are very open to suggestions on how
to improve things.

just understand that releasing a binary one-size-fits-all bundle will
get the 'how do I clean my sitemap' problem back and rampant. So, if you
want to do a binary/source release, you also have to come up with a
solution for that problem.

And, in case you come up with something you feel to propose us, we are
all ears. As usual.

--
Stefano.

RE: [Ann] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Milestone 1 Release

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@gmx.net>.
The only thing you need is a JDK - everything else is
included (servlet engine, ant, database). What do you want more?
If you want to test it quickly it will take you about 3
minutes to have Cocoon running on your system and you
can click through all the examples!

If you like tell Cocoon users who are usually developers that
they install Cocoon (as thousands of other software packages require)
and not that they compile it. I'm sure that no one will ask any
more to get a binary package!

And as mentioned in my former posting I think it's very easy (see the
five steps and the INSTALL.txt in the root directory of the
distribution.

Of course, this information (... no distinction between binary
and source ) has to be placed at the page with the downloadable
Cocoon files and at the page with the install instructions.

Reinhard

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Le Mardi, 29 avr 2003, à 15:44 Europe/Zurich, Vadim Gritsenko a écrit :
> ...Not a *source* release, *Cocoon release*, the one and only! :PPP

Dare I say "Amen, brother"?
  ;-)

-Bertrand

Re: [Ann] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Milestone 1 Release

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le Mardi, 29 avr 2003, à 14:00 Europe/Zurich, Torsten Schlabach a écrit :
>
>> But then why don't we make this clear on the website rather than
>> presenting
>> people with both binary and source download directories that are
>> empty?...
>

> (hopefully) done at http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=LatestRelease
>
>> Also: If this is a decision: fine. But if anyone asked me for a
>> comment: It
>> will keep people off who want to quickly test what this is all about
>> as they
>> can no longer just download and explode the WAR but need a full ant /
>> java
>> compiler environment which is nontrivial for example on windows.
>

> You don't need ant, only a JDK (JRE won't do), which is required to
> run Cocoon anyway.
>
>> In my view: We write software for *users* to *use* it, not for
>> developers to
>> build examples and enjoy them.
>

> You might want to read the lively and interesting discussions that
> lead to a source release, see the LatestRelease wiki page for links.

Not a *source* release, *Cocoon release*, the one and only! :PPP

Vadim

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Le Mardi, 29 avr 2003, à 14:00 Europe/Zurich, Torsten Schlabach a écrit
:

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <TS...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@gmx.net>.
Andreas,

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
This is a milestone and not a final release, so it's absolutely
natural to have open bugs/issues. They will be resolved for the
final release.

Carsten

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <TS...@gmx.net>.
What do I miss here?

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Done. (It will take some time until the website is republished)

Thanks

Posted by Tony Linde <ae...@star.le.ac.uk>.
Hi Carsten,