Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by William Henry <wh...@redhat.com> on 2009/09/11 22:35:17 UTC

Broker (qpidd) footprint

Has anyone done any broker memory footprint sizing exercises?

I've done a very adhoc and limited investigation. I see that a default qpidd without any plugins seems to use 5Mb of memory (5072Kb). As I added some queues and exchanges I saw 8Kb increases. Sometimes it didn't seem linear. E.g. is appears that adding exchanges will only see the 8K increase every 2 exchanges.

(Test done on 64bit Fedora 11 on a Lenova Thinkpad T61)

Is this is line with other peoples findings?

I haven't done anything with plugins yet but I'd be interested in some feedback or if anyone has developed a script for testing footprint scalability.

Best,
William

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Broker (qpidd) footprint

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
William Henry wrote:
> Has anyone done any broker memory footprint sizing exercises?
>
> I've done a very adhoc and limited investigation. I see that a default qpidd without any plugins seems to use 5Mb of memory (5072Kb). As I added some queues and exchanges I saw 8Kb increases. Sometimes it didn't seem linear. E.g. is appears that adding exchanges will only see the 8K increase every 2 exchanges.
>
> (Test done on 64bit Fedora 11 on a Lenova Thinkpad T61)
>
> Is this is line with other peoples findings?
>
> I haven't done anything with plugins yet but I'd be interested in some feedback or if anyone has developed a script for testing footprint scalability.

yea, that is because of the way Linux grabs memory pages, and it does
not run mem consolidate until it needs to

Carl.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org