Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net> on 2014/01/31 13:52:50 UTC

permissions of cert-files

Hi

one small issue with ssl-certs:
they must be readable by the ats-user

httpd reads them at startup before downgrade uid/gid
the benefit is that they can have chmod 400 and owned by root
in case of a security relevant bug that may prevent leaks
_________________________

my personal issue is that we distribute the wildcard-cert to all
relevant machines in a own directory which chmod 400 and after
the cert expires and is re-newed the admin server can distribute it

for now i need to make a ats-readable copy because a hard-link
would have the same permissions on both and in case of fire up
the distribute script they are reset

Re: permissions of cert-files

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Am 31.01.2014 17:36, schrieb James Peach:
> On Jan 31, 2014, at 8:32 AM, Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net> wrote:

>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-2353
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-612
>>>
>>> Ron Barber has been working on this for 4.2 and I expect that we will land these changes soon. In the longer terms I'd like to support the Linux kernel key management API, which I believe will give you better options for controlling access to keys.
>>
>> have i said often enough "thank you" for such a responsible upstream project like ATS?
>
> Full marks to the Yahoo engineers, who have been driving the SSL improvements in 4.2. SSL support was formerly somewhat neglected so it's very timely and appreciated work :)

so special thanks to the Yahoo engineers, nice to see that they still work on ATS
which is not self-evident in case of make a software open source and place it
under the hood of ASF

Re: permissions of cert-files

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jan-Frode Myklebust <ja...@tanso.net>.
On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 01:52:50PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> my personal issue is that we distribute the wildcard-cert to all
> relevant machines in a own directory which chmod 400 and after
> the cert expires and is re-newed the admin server can distribute it

We do the same.. but for files that ATS needs to access, we make them
owned by root:ats, mode 440. I very much agree they should be opened by
root on startup instead.

  -jf