Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Rev. Steve Klett" <st...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/16 05:41:46 UTC

Deep trouble: Renamed my root folder, all unversioned and un-commited files deleted

I've tried 3 file recovery programs, none of them are finding the data.

2 questions;
1)  Why did this happen?
2)  Anyone know a programe that will recover files that weren't deleted by
the user "interactively" deleting the file?

Please help, please...

Re: Deep trouble: Renamed my root folder, all unversioned and un-commited files deleted

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <mu...@stats.uwo.ca>.
On 2/16/2007 12:58 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Feb 15, 2007, at 23:41, Rev. Steve Klett wrote:
>
>> I've tried 3 file recovery programs, none of them are finding the
>> data.
>>
>> 2 questions;
>> 1)  Why did this happen?
>
> You tell us. Subversion is not supposed to delete unversioned not-yet-
> committed files at all, unless you tell it you really want it to by
> using the --force option. What command did you issue?
>

>> 2)  Anyone know a programe that will recover files that weren't
>> deleted by the user "interactively" deleting the file?
>
> I don't think it matters how the file was deleted. Any file recovery
> program for your OS should work as well as such programs can work.
> They will be more likely to help you if you haven't gone writing a
> whole lot of other files to the hard drive since the accidental
> deletion.

Not on Windows.  On Windows deletes done through Explorer are basically
just moves into the "Recycle bin" folder; deletes by programs like svn
are real file system deletes, so are harder to undo.

Duncan Murdoch

Re: Deep trouble: Renamed my root folder, all unversioned and un-commited files deleted

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Méresse Christophe <ch...@nagra.com>.