Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Marc Morin <ma...@emforium.com> on 2009/10/27 14:11:19 UTC

Entity Sync

We have a couple of use cases where we need to sync a subset of the information in one database and mirror it into another.

Been looking at the entity sync capability that is present in ofbiz.  Very good start, ability to build a sync set that is a collection of entities to sync (pull or push) between delegators (or service).

In my case, I need to create the nest of entities to consider for the sync, but I need to restrict the rows from some starting point.

Use case 1: Want to import a collection of parties from one system along with their relationships between the set of parties and their contact info, notes, preferences, etc....

Use case 2: Create a product category, rollups, and then associate products to that category.  Want to publish this category, products, and subset of pricing, product content, features, etc.... to other instances.

Looks like a modification to entity sync is required to do this? or am i mistaken.

Modification involves:

- build set of entities in sync group
- add condition restrictions on possibly any number of entities for candidate rows. (category_id = 'x')
- "soft" inclusion by foreign key reference from a row in the set to one that is not explicit.
- alter row for foreign key references outside of entity set to null or to rows that cannot be replicated.

I'm sure more precision is needed here and will to do the work. Just wanted to see if others have similar use cases and if so, what they have done.

Marc Morin
Emforium Group Inc.
ALL-IN Software™
519-772-6824 ext 201
mmorin@emforium.com

Re: Entity Sync

Posted by Deyan Tsvetanov <de...@ittconsult.com>.
We could also discuss another idea:
Using the record's timestamp for generating a graph of sync entities is
tricky. We need pretty precise system clock ntp sync and cpu time for
ofbiz to generate the graph.

Another approach might be to implement triggers in entity engine ( if
that feature does not exist already ) and create a transaction log. I
use the same approach
but on a DB level - using DB triggers. The clients remember the last ID
of the transaction log entry they have successfully reached so they just
ask the server - give me everything
after it.
The transaction log approach would eliminate the system clock issues and
graph generation.

-- deyan

From: Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>
To: user@ofbiz.apache.org
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 21:05:51 +0100

From: "David E Jones" <de...@me.com>
> That's great Jacques, I'm glad someone is coordinating and looking  into things with it.

I appreciate the compliment, I have no escape now ;o)

Jacques

Re: Entity Sync

Re: Entity Sync

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "David E Jones" <de...@me.com>

Re: Entity Sync

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Re: Entity Sync

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Marc David,

From: "David E Jones" <de...@me.com>

Re: Entity Sync

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
Marc,

Re: Entity Sync

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Do you mean it was a simple error on your side (sorry I did not take the time to read all yet ;o) ?

Jacques

From: "Marc Morin" <ma...@emforium.com>

Re: Entity Sync

Posted by Marc Morin <ma...@emforium.com>.