Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Elizabeth Mattijsen <li...@xxLINK.nl> on 1997/09/09 04:25:25 UTC

LogFormat: missing arguments?

Going through the argument list of LogFormat, I seem to be missing the
following arguments:

%...B:	Bytes sent, including HTTP headers
%...c:	Number of request this child (2nd part of Acc in mod_status)
%...k:	Number of request this keep-alive (1st part of Acc in mod_status)

Is there any particular reason why it would be difficult to include these?
I could see many maintenance uses for this: e.g. you could then use data
from the logs to tune your MaxKeepAliveRequests.  Or compare the total
bytes sent with router logs to be able to pinpoint TCP/IP retransmission
problems.  Or find out that none of your children ever make it to
MaxRequestPerChild because of a problem in a module that causes many core
dumps.

Also: if I would like to log the unix-time of a request (seconds since
Epoch), there is currently no way of doing that (at least in my strftime
docs, I cannot see an argument that would give me that).  Is that correct?
If so, I guess the strftime arguments could be expanded by a "%u" argument
that would give the unix-time.  Any reason why this would be difficult.

If there are no reasons for this to be difficult, I would like to take this
on as a project.

Elizabeth Mattijsen
xxLINK Internet Services

Re: LogFormat: missing arguments?

Posted by Martin Kraemer <Ma...@mch.sni.de>.
On Tue, Sep 09, 1997 at 05:25:25AM +0200, Elizabeth Mattijsen wrote:
> Going through the argument list of LogFormat, I seem to be missing the
> following arguments:
>
> %...B:	Bytes sent, including HTTP headers
> %...c:	Number of request this child (2nd part of Acc in mod_status)
> %...k:	Number of request this keep-alive (1st part of Acc in mod_status)

What I've been missing is a way to log the amount of data which have been
fetched from an upstream proxy - (when serving as a proxy). This is usually
what you *pay for*, while the data available in the log today is what you
*charge for*.

    Martin