Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com> on 2012/06/23 11:58:29 UTC

Must use the incubating qualifier

It has been pointed out on the general list that AOO is not always using
the incubating qualifier. For example recent blog posts don't include it.

Let's not forget it please.

RE: Must use the incubating qualifier

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Yes, I think the description for use of the "Get it Here" image and button is clear.

Thanks Rob,

I also strongly agree that it leads to a download page and does not initiate a download directly.

I am disagreeing with those who think the button should initiate download.

It is important to find a page that describes what the artifact is, how to know more about it, how to install it, etc., preferably in at least the language used on the image itself, and for that language and possibly others.

 - Dennis

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<de...@acm.org> wrote:
> OK, personal impression only:
>
> I find the rainbow coloring through the text of "Get it Here" to be distracting and not helpful.  I know some subset of us know what the colors represent, but I see no need to be cute about it.  (Yes, this will be on the final exam.)

The trick is finding something that is clearly different than the
official project logo, but also clearly related.  So a family
resemblance, but not a twin.

Drew's latest update is here:
http://lo-portal.us/aoo/temp/get-aoo-300x100-icv.png

That is fine with me.  It is not like we are baking it into a product
UI or anything.  We can evolve this from release to release if we want
to try other things.  Ideally there would be some thematic link
between the "Get it here" logo and any CD artwork we want to promote
for redistributors.

Something like the quoted HTML here:
http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/get-it-here.html ???

The alt text there is "Download Apache OpenOffice here".  I suppose we
could add "(incubating)" there as well.

> I'm abstaining on this: Drew provides significant effort here, and I recognize that.  I am providing my impressions FWIW.
>
>  - Dennis
>
> PS: Perhaps others can suggest translations for use on non-English sites.  The URL might then need to change as well.

Take a look at this page if you haven't already.  I tried to
anticipate the translation questions.  Let me know if it is not clear
there.   http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/get-it-here.html

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 10:58:48 +0200
Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> David McKay wrote:
> > On 24/06/12 00:05, drew wrote:
> >> here it is with text a little smaller and a bevel:
> >> http://lo-portal.us/aoo/temp/get-aoo-300x100-btn.png
>
> It's nice. I especially like that the incubator logo is included there
> (since we are forced to refer to the incubating state everywhere) but is
> unobtrusive. (For the same reasons, I find also nice the solution Rob
> adopted for blog posts).
>
> > That does look better. Personally I'd still prefer something that
> > reflects what will happen when you click it. Something along the lines
> > of 'Click for download page'.
>
> To an international audience "Download" will be more understandable than
> "Get it here". And the fact that the button takes you to a download page
> instead of serving immediately a file is quite irrelevant: users won't
> be confused, and the extra click is a really minor annoyance.
>
> Regards,
>    Andrea.

One could say "Link to Download site" or "Download Site"

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Must use the incubating qualifier

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by David McKay <dm...@btconnect.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 10:10 AM, drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2012-07-01 at 13:07 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:

> "button-like"

> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/site/trunk/content/openofficeorg/images/get-it-here/en.png

> > > OHH - ok, I have to admit this - I never registered keys for the SVN
> > > system apparently - I've just been lazy
> > > - if anyone would just check that in I would appreciate it..
> > >

> > Done:   http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/get-it-here.html
> >
> > -Rob
>
> Thank you

looks good!

> > > otherwise - I'll waddle over and finish getting setup..
> > >
> > > //drew

MzK

"I would rather have a donkey that takes me there
 than a horse that will not fare."
                                          -- Portuguese proverb

Re: Must use the incubating qualifier

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Sun, 2012-07-01 at 13:07 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 12:43 PM, drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> wrote:

> >> So, no replacement yet?  Just checking...
> >>
> > OHH - ok, I have to admit this - I never registered keys for the SVN
> > system apparently - I've just been lazy
> > - if anyone would just check that in I would appreciate it..
> >

> Done:   http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/get-it-here.html
>
> -Rob

Thank you

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David McKay <dm...@btconnect.com>.

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jun 23, 2012, at 8:39 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 9:53 AM, drew jensen <dr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> But that's not the policy.  The policy is that it must be called out
>>> as incubating at first mention in the document.
>>
>> That's what I thought also - I'm saying how it reads to me, that's all.
>>

> Maybe the key is to realize that when we publish a blog post, we
> publish two things:
>
> 1) A web page, which does IMHO have the correct incubation notices on it.
>
> 2) An Atom feed that will be used by websites and services outside of
> our immediate control, and which will not bring along the full page
> context from the blog.
>
> On the second one, I think the remedy might be get the incubation
> notice into the post ("entry") titles.  It may be possible to do this
> automatically (per my previous post), but it could be done manually as
> well.

Give it 24 hours and I'll do it manually. It will take 20 minutes or less (except for the Japanese.)

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by drew jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 8:41 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 5:58 AM, Ross Gardler
> <rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:
>> It has been pointed out on the general list that AOO is not always using
>> the incubating qualifier. For example recent blog posts don't include it.
>>

> It is right there, first thing on the page, in a very large font, for
> every blog post:  "Apache OpenOffice (incubating)"

E.g, :  https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/5_million_downloads_of_apache

Note the <title> of the page says "Apache OpenOffice (incubating)".
Ditto for the largest (and first) header on the page.

Looking at the general list, it sounds like NIck's issue was that blog
aggregators, such as used by Apache for generating content on the home
page are not picking up on this.

I'm not sure whether we have much control of this, but maybe someone
with Roller admin access can check to see if there is a setting to
automatically insert the blog title into the Atom entry title.   Some
blogging software allows that.  Then the aggregators would see
something like: "[Apache OpenOffice (incubating)] 5 Million Downloads
of Apache OpenOffice"

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.