Posted to dev@oodt.apache.org by David M Woollard <wo...@jpl.nasa.gov> on 2010/09/27 04:18:24 UTC

An alternative proposal RE jacorb

All,

I am not sure how many of you follow Apache Legal [1], but Chris is currently leading a discussion on OODT's possible use of jacorb [2] as referenced in [3].

Paul and I were chatting recently and he suggested (and I agree) that, while the issue is being debated (and the dependency possibly replaced), we might move forward with the release of 0.1 incubating leaving out the non-grid product and profile components (which will then be released with 0.2-incubating). It is my understanding that the grid product and profile are the more common deployments these days (I for one haven't used CORBA in a long, long time).

I thought I might just through this out and see what opinions where out there.

-Dave

[1] legal-discuss@apache.org
[2] http://s.apache.org/7Ba
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OODT-25

David M. Woollard, Software Engineer
Data Management Systems and Technologies Group (388J)
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA, 91109, USA
Office: 171-243D      Phone: (818) 354-4291

"Anybody who wants to make a revolution shouldn't grab a gun.
Just go and start working to change the world by using science
and technology."    -Stanford Ovshinsky

Re: An alternative proposal RE jacorb

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Goooood, morning, Sean! ^_^

LOL, yep, that's what I ended up doing - I just removed the CORBA stuff altogether and the RMI stuff as well. So we're exclusively REST-ful now, which means, hey I better go take a nap!

Cheers,
Chris

On 9/27/10 6:55 AM, "Sean Kelly" <ke...@apache.org> wrote:

We could make it "even more optimally" moot by cutting CORBA support altogether.

1999 called: they want their rambling, committee-designed, documentation-bogged, poorly-implemented, needlessly-acronymed, lumbering, diseased, behemoth of a remote procedure call system back.

On 2010.Sep.26, at 9.22p, David M Woollard wrote:

> Well, never mind. Looks like a moot point. See the legal discuss archive.
>
> Thanks Chris for pushing this through. Looks like we are going to be able to cut a release presently!

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: Chris.Mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov