Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Jose Ortiz <ch...@hpcf.upr.edu> on 2002/05/10 19:09:25 UTC

Problems with mod_perl installation(HELP!!!)

People :

    I had spent more than 2 months trying to make mode_perl on my RH 72. First I tried with

the RPMS but it didn't works.  Then I tryied with the tar.gz and I can't neither.

It prompts the following compilation error:util.c: In function `ap_find_token':

util.c:1410: `test_char_table' undeclared (first use in this function)
util.c:1410: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
util.c:1410: for each function it appears in.)
util.c:1410: `T_HTTP_TOKEN_STOP' undeclared (first use in this function)
util.c: In function `ap_escape_shell_cmd':
util.c:1469: `test_char_table' undeclared (first use in this function)
util.c:1469: `T_ESCAPE_SHELL_CMD' undeclared (first use in this function)
util.c: In function `ap_escape_path_segment':
util.c:1596: `test_char_table' undeclared (first use in this function)
util.c:1596: `T_ESCAPE_PATH_SEGMENT' undeclared (first use in this function)
util.c: In function `ap_os_escape_path':
util.c:1625: `test_char_table' undeclared (first use in this function)
util.c:1625: `T_OS_ESCAPE_PATH' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[4]: *** [util.o] Error 1

and some times it says that can't open the shared file libperl.so

--
Jose R. Ortiz Ubarri
Cs. Student & Programmer

Re: Problems with mod_perl installation(HELP!!!)

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Stas Bekman wrote:

> [Please make sure to reply back to the list! Thanks]
>
> Jose Ortiz wrote:
>
>> People :
>>
>>     I had spent more than 2 months trying to make mode_perl on my RH
>> 72. First I tried with
>>
>> the RPMS but it didn't works.  Then I tryied with the tar.gz and I
>> can't neither.
>

> very unlikely that it doesn't work, try following the steps as explained
> in the guide: perl.apache.org/guide/install.html

there's also recipe 1.4 from the cookbook, which details a unix install from source (in
addition to various binary installations):

http://www.modperlcookbook.org/chapters/ch01.pdf

we geeks tend to forget how frustrating a process it is doing this for the first time :)

my first install was on RedHat 5.2 and it was a pain - I was missing so many libraries and
dependencies that I had to reinstall RedHat to satisfy all the RPM crud.  keep in mind
that you typically need the 'developer' libraries (the ones that contain the header and
other source files, as opposed to just the binaries) for redhat in order to compile stuff
from source - glibc-devel in particular comes to mind.

> make sure that you get the latest apache-1.3.24 and mod_perl_1.24

also, start by making sure you can get Apache to compile by itself before moving to a
mod_perl-enabled Apache.

all this seems a bit daunting, dave harris and I wrote this part of the guide:

http://perl.apache.org/guide/install.html#using_RPM_and_other_packages_to_

which explains how to go about using mod_perl from an RPM.  it's rather dated now, but the
basic steps are still the same.

> when reporting bugs/problems, please follow the instructions here:
> http://perl.apache.org/preview/modperl-docs/dst_html/docs/1.0/guide/help.html#How_to_Report_Problems

yes, good advice :)

good luck, and don't give up...

--Geoff

Re: Problems with mod_perl installation(HELP!!!)

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.