Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Jun MA <mj...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/02 05:27:16 UTC

Recommended number of partitions on each broker

Hi,

I’m curious what’s the recommended number of partitions running on each individual broker? We have a 3 nodes clusters running 0.9.0.1, each one has 24 cores, 1.1T ssd, 48G ram, 10G NIC. There’s about 300 partitions running on each broker and the resource usage is pretty low (5% cpu, 50% ram, 2% disk). But we see a lot random ISR expand/shrink happens to the cluster. Our networking is pretty stable, so I’m wondering if that’s because more partitions than kafka could handle? Is there any kafka parameters that we could tuning?

Thanks,
Jun

Re: Recommended number of partitions on each broker

Posted by Jeff Widman <je...@netskope.com>.
We normally run over 1,000 partitions per broker, and I know of a major
company with 30+ kafka clusters that averages 1,100 partitions per broker
across all clusters.

So 300 shouldn't be an issue as long as the throughput per partition isn't
too high. Given that disk and cpu are so low, I'd guess this isn't the
issue.

Posted by Vijay Patil <vi...@gmail.com>.