Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> on 2012/11/10 08:52:19 UTC

[Branding] Residual branding error

In this thread
http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=57340
the poster points out that the titlebar of the AOO splash screen [and the AOO applications] use OpenOffice.org.  Perhaps these ought be changed in later code revisions to reflect the Apache branding.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: [Branding] Residual branding error

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Sun, 11 Nov 2012 13:09:59 +0100
Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 10/11/2012 Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> > http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=57340 the
> > poster points out that the titlebar of the AOO splash screen [and the
> > AOO applications] use OpenOffice.org.
>
> This is of course something to fix in later versions, but it is by
> design. To avoid breaking compatibility too much with existing 3.x
> installations, in the 3.x series we still use "OpenOffice.org" as
> $PRODUCTNAME (the variable that influences hundreds of strings naming
> the product, ranging from menu items to help strings).
>
> This will be fixed by updating $PRODUCTNAME when we go for version 4.

Thanks for the update, Andrea.  Personally I don't care what the application is called, but the matter was brought to attention on the Forum and I mentioned it here so that others became aware of it.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 10/11/2012 Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=57340 the
> poster points out that the titlebar of the AOO splash screen [and the
> AOO applications] use OpenOffice.org.

This is of course something to fix in later versions, but it is by
design. To avoid breaking compatibility too much with existing 3.x
installations, in the 3.x series we still use "OpenOffice.org" as
$PRODUCTNAME (the variable that influences hundreds of strings naming
the product, ranging from menu items to help strings).

This will be fixed by updating $PRODUCTNAME when we go for version 4.

Regards,
   Andrea.