Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com> on 2018/04/04 23:20:01 UTC

time for Apache Spark 3.0?

There was a discussion thread on scala-contributors
<https://contributors.scala-lang.org/t/spark-as-a-scala-gateway-drug-and-the-2-12-failure/1747>
about Apache Spark not yet supporting Scala 2.12, and that got me to think
perhaps it is about time for Spark to work towards the 3.0 release. By the
time it comes out, it will be more than 2 years since Spark 2.0.

For contributors less familiar with Spark’s history, I want to give more
context on Spark releases:

1. Timeline: Spark 1.0 was released May 2014. Spark 2.0 was July 2016. If
we were to maintain the ~ 2 year cadence, it is time to work on Spark 3.0
in 2018.

2. Spark’s versioning policy promises that Spark does not break stable APIs
in feature releases (e.g. 2.1, 2.2). API breaking changes are sometimes a
necessary evil, and can be done in major releases (e.g. 1.6 to 2.0, 2.x to
3.0).

3. That said, a major version isn’t necessarily the playground for
disruptive API changes to make it painful for users to update. The main
purpose of a major release is an opportunity to fix things that are broken
in the current API and remove certain deprecated APIs.

4. Spark as a project has a culture of evolving architecture and developing
major new features incrementally, so major releases are not the only time
for exciting new features. For example, the bulk of the work in the move
towards the DataFrame API was done in Spark 1.3, and Continuous Processing
was introduced in Spark 2.3. Both were feature releases rather than major
releases.

You can find more background in the thread discussing Spark 2.0:
http://apache-spark-developers-list.1001551.n3.nabble.com/A-proposal-for-Spark-2-0-td15122.html

The primary motivating factor IMO for a major version bump is to support
Scala 2.12, which requires minor API breaking changes to Spark’s APIs.
Similar to Spark 2.0, I think there are also opportunities for other
changes that we know have been biting us for a long time but can’t be
changed in feature releases (to be clear, I’m actually not sure they are
all good ideas, but I’m writing them down as candidates for consideration):

1. Support Scala 2.12.

2. Remove interfaces, configs, and modules (e.g. Bagel) deprecated in Spark
2.x.

3. Shade all dependencies.

4. Change the reserved keywords in Spark SQL to be more ANSI-SQL compliant,
to prevent users from shooting themselves in the foot, e.g. “SELECT 2
SECOND” -- is “SECOND” an interval unit or an alias? To make it less
painful for users to upgrade here, I’d suggest creating a flag for backward
compatibility mode.

5. Similar to 4, make our type coercion rule in DataFrame/SQL more standard
compliant, and have a flag for backward compatibility.

6. Miscellaneous other small changes documented in JIRA already (e.g.
“JavaPairRDD flatMapValues requires function returning Iterable, not
Iterator”, “Prevent column name duplication in temporary view”).

Now the reality of a major version bump is that the world often thinks in
terms of what exciting features are coming. I do think there are a number
of major changes happening already that can be part of the 3.0 release, if
they make it in:

1. Scala 2.12 support (listing it twice)
2. Continuous Processing non-experimental
3. Kubernetes support non-experimental
4. A more flushed out version of data source API v2 (I don’t think it is
realistic to stabilize that in one release)
5. Hadoop 3.0 support
6. ...

Similar to the 2.0 discussion, this thread should focus on the framework
and whether it’d make sense to create Spark 3.0 as the next release, rather
than the individual feature requests. Those are important but are best done
in their own separate threads.

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

On 5 Apr 2018, at 18:04, Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Java 9/10 support would be great to add as well.

Be aware that the work moving hadoop core to java 9+ is still a big piece of work being undertaken by Akira Ajisaka & colleagues at NTT

Big dependency updates and handling Oracle hiding sun.misc stuff which low level code depends on are the troublespots, with a move to Log4J 2 going to be observably traumatic to all apps which require a log4.properties to set themselves up. As usual: any testing which can be done early will be welcomed by all, the earlier the better

That stuff is all about getting things working: supporting the java 9 packaging model. Which is a really compelling reason to go for it

Regarding Scala 2.12, I thought that supporting it would become easier if we change the Spark API and ABI slightly. Basically, it is of course possible to create an alternate source tree today, but it might be possible to share the same source files if we tweak some small things in the methods that are overloaded across Scala and Java. I don’t remember the exact details, but the idea was to reduce the total maintenance work needed at the cost of requiring users to recompile their apps.

I’m personally for moving to 3.0 because of the other things we can clean up as well, e.g. the default SQL dialect, Iterable stuff, and possibly dependency shading (a major pain point for lots of users)

Hadoop 3 does have a shaded client, though not enough for Spark; if work identifying & fixing the outstanding dependencies is started now, Hadoop 3.2 should be able to offer the set of shaded libraries needed by Spark.

There's always a price to that, which is in redistributable size and it's impact on start times, duplicate classes loaded (memory,  reduced chance of JIT recompilation, ...), and the whole transitive-shading problem. Java 9 should be the real target for a clean solution to all of this.

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.
Java 9/10 support would be great to add as well.

Regarding Scala 2.12, I thought that supporting it would become easier if we change the Spark API and ABI slightly. Basically, it is of course possible to create an alternate source tree today, but it might be possible to share the same source files if we tweak some small things in the methods that are overloaded across Scala and Java. I don’t remember the exact details, but the idea was to reduce the total maintenance work needed at the cost of requiring users to recompile their apps.

I’m personally for moving to 3.0 because of the other things we can clean up as well, e.g. the default SQL dialect, Iterable stuff, and possibly dependency shading (a major pain point for lots of users). It’s also a chance to highlight Kubernetes, continuous processing and other features more if they become “GA".

Matei

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
That certainly sounds beneficial, to maybe several other projects. If
there's no downside and it takes away API issues, seems like a win.

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Dean Wampler <de...@gmail.com>.
I spoke with Martin Odersky and Lightbend's Scala Team about the known API
issue with method disambiguation. They offered to implement a small patch
in a new release of Scala 2.12 to handle the issue without requiring a
Spark API change. They would cut a 2.12.6 release for it. I'm told that
Scala 2.13 should already handle the issue without modification (it's not
yet released, to be clear). They can also offer feedback on updating the
closure cleaner.

So, this approach would support Scala 2.12 in Spark, but limited to
2.12.6+, without the API change requirement, but the closure cleaner would
still need updating. Hence, it could be done for Spark 2.X.

Let me if you want to pursue this approach.

dean

*Dean Wampler, Ph.D.*

*VP, Fast Data Engineering at Lightbend*
Author: Programming Scala, 2nd Edition
<http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920033073.do>, Fast Data Architectures
for Streaming Applications
<http://www.oreilly.com/data/free/fast-data-architectures-for-streaming-applications.csp>,
and other content from O'Reilly
@deanwampler <http://twitter.com/deanwampler>
http://polyglotprogramming.com
https://github.com/deanwampler

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com>.

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.
Oh, forgot to add, but splitting the source tree in Scala also creates the issue of a big maintenance burden for third-party libraries built on Spark. As Josh said on the JIRA:

"I think this is primarily going to be an issue for end users who want to use an existing source tree to cross-compile for Scala 2.10, 2.11, and 2.12. Thus the pain of the source incompatibility would mostly be felt by library/package maintainers but it can be worked around as long as there's at least some common subset which is source compatible across all of those versions.”

This means that all the data sources, ML algorithms, etc developed outside our source tree would have to do the same thing we do internally.

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com>.

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Marco Gaido <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com>.

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.
I definitely agree we shouldn't make dsv2 stable in the next release.

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Matt Cheah <mc...@palantir.com>.
I just added the label to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-25908. Unsure if there are any others. I’ll look through the tickets and see if there are any that are missing the label.

-Matt Cheah

From: Sean Owen <sr...@apache.org>
Date: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at 12:09 PM
To: Matt Cheah <mc...@palantir.com>
Cc: Sean Owen <sr...@apache.org>, Vinoo Ganesh <vg...@palantir.com>, dev <de...@spark.apache.org>
Subject: Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

As far as I know any JIRA that has implications for users is tagged this way but I haven't examined all of them. All that are going in for 3.0 should have it as Fix Version . Most changes won't have a user visible impact. Do you see any that seem to need the tag? Call em out or even fix them by adding the tag and proposed release notes.

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018, 11:49 AM Matt Cheah <mcheah@palantir.com wrote:

The release-notes label on JIRA sounds good. Can we make it a point to have that done retroactively now, and then moving forward?

On 11/12/18, 4:01 PM, "Sean Owen" <sr...@apache.org> wrote:

    My non-definitive takes --

    I would personally like to remove all deprecated methods for Spark 3.
    I started by removing 'old' deprecated methods in that commit. Things
    deprecated in 2.4 are maybe less clear, whether they should be removed

    Everything's fair game for removal or change in a major release. So
    far some items in discussion seem to be Scala 2.11 support, Python 2
    support, R support before 3.4. I don't know about other APIs.

    Generally, take a look at JIRA for items targeted at version 3.0. Not
    everything targeted for 3.0 is going in, but ones from committers are
    more likely than others. Breaking changes ought to be tagged
    'release-notes' with a description of the change. The release itself
    has a migration guide that's being updated as we go.

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@apache.org>.

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Matt Cheah <mc...@palantir.com>.

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@apache.org>.
My non-definitive takes --

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.
All API removal and deprecation JIRAs should be tagged "releasenotes", so
we can reference them when we build release notes. I don't know if
everybody is still following that practice, but it'd be great to do that.
Since we don't have that many PRs, we should still be able to retroactively
tag.

We can also add a new tag for API changes, but I feel at this stage it
might be easier to just use "releasenotes".

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

From: Vinoo Ganesh <vg...@palantir.com>
Date: Monday, November 12, 2018 at 2:48 PM
To: Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>
Cc: Xiao Li <ga...@gmail.com>, Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>, Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com>, Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com>, dev <de...@spark.apache.org>

Makes sense, thanks Reynold.

From: Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>
Date: Monday, November 12, 2018 at 16:57
To: Vinoo Ganesh <vg...@palantir.com>
Cc: Xiao Li <ga...@gmail.com>, Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>, Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com>, Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com>, dev <de...@spark.apache.org>

From: Xiao Li <ga...@gmail.com>
Date: Saturday, September 29, 2018 at 02:09
To: Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>
Cc: Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>, Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com>, Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com>, "user@spark.apache.org" <de...@spark.apache.org>

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Vinoo Ganesh <vg...@palantir.com>.
Makes sense, thanks Reynold.

From: Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>
Date: Monday, November 12, 2018 at 16:57
To: Vinoo Ganesh <vg...@palantir.com>
Cc: Xiao Li <ga...@gmail.com>, Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>, Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com>, Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com>, dev <de...@spark.apache.org>

From: Xiao Li <ga...@gmail.com>>
Date: Saturday, September 29, 2018 at 02:09
To: Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>>
Cc: Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>>, Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com>>, Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com>>, "user@spark.apache.org<ma...@spark.apache.org>" <de...@spark.apache.org>>

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Vinoo Ganesh <vg...@palantir.com>.

From: Xiao Li <ga...@gmail.com>
Date: Saturday, September 29, 2018 at 02:09
To: Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>
Cc: Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>, Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com>, Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com>, "user@spark.apache.org" <de...@spark.apache.org>

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Xiao Li <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Xiao Li <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com>.

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.
+1 on 3.0

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by Xiao Li <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by vaquar khan <va...@gmail.com>.
+1  for 2.4 next, followed by 3.0.

Where we can get Apache Spark road map for 2.4 and 2.5 .... 3.0 ?
is it possible we can share future release proposed specification same
like  releases (https://spark.apache.org/releases/spark-release-2-3-0.html)
Regards,
Viquar khan

On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 12:02 PM, vaquar khan <va...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Plz ignore last email link (you tube )not sure how it added .
> Apologies not sure how to delete it.
>

> On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 11:58 AM, vaquar khan <va...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ik7aJ5U6kg
>>
>> Regards,
>> Vaquar khan
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 4:55 PM, Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes. At this rate I think it's better to do 2.4 next, followed by 3.0.

>> --
>> Regards,
>> Vaquar Khan
>> +1 -224-436-0783
>> Greater Chicago
>>

> --
> Regards,
> Vaquar Khan
> +1 -224-436-0783
> Greater Chicago

Vaquar Khan
+1 -224-436-0783
Greater Chicago

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?

Posted by vaquar khan <va...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

>>> “SELECT 2 SECOND” -- is “SECOND” an interval unit or an alias? To make it
>>> less painful for users to upgrade here, I’d suggest creating a flag for
>>> backward compatibility mode.

>>> standard compliant, and have a flag for backward compatibility.

>>> (e.g. “JavaPairRDD flatMapValues requires function returning Iterable, not
>>> Iterator”, “Prevent column name duplication in temporary view”).

>>> thinks in terms of what exciting features are coming. I do think there are
>>> a number of major changes happening already that can be part of the 3.0
>>> release, if they make it in:

>>> it is realistic to stabilize that in one release)

>>> framework and whether it’d make sense to create Spark 3.0 as the next
>>> release, rather than the individual feature requests. Those are important
>>> but are best done in their own separate threads.

Vaquar Khan
+1 -224-436-0783
Greater Chicago

Re: time for Apache Spark 3.0?