Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Amey Jadiye <am...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/21 17:17:07 UTC

TEXT-77 | String palindrome API

Hi All,

Though its very trivial to build, by any chance we should have palindrome
method in Apache Commons API ? there is nothing bad having this tool in
our arsenal, preferably in StringUtils ?

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEXT-77

Regards,
Amey

Re: TEXT-77 | String palindrome API

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

> On Jun 22, 2017, at 4:38 AM, Amey Jadiye <am...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> +1 agreed with Emmanuel, better we park/close this issue for now. Its very
> trivial and can be pull whenever there will be actual requirement.
>
> Regards,
> Amey
>
>> On Thu, Jun 22, 2017, 1:50 PM Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Le 22/06/2017 à 06:28, Bruno P. Kinoshita a écrit :
>>>
>>> But would be good to find someone, maybe a bioinformatician, that could
>> confirm if it would be useful, and give a few use cases, for that.
>>
>> What about waiting for someone with an actual and sensible use case to
>> request the inclusion of palindrome functions in [text] instead? If we
>> try to include whatever text processing function we can imagine in
>> [text], even if they aren't used, we'll end up with an oversized and
>> bloated API. I think the development should be driven by actual needs
>> and not by hypothetical usage.

I think I would take the tactic of searching across Apache code bases to see if such a functionality is written. If it's in two or more different projects then think about bringing it in?

-Rob

Posted by Amey Jadiye <am...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <br...@yahoo.com.br.INVALID>.
Palindromes (and other algorithms like De Bruijn graphs, lcs) are normally taught in most introductory bioinformatics courses. Not sure how much palindromes are used though. I know use cases for De Bruijn and lcs.

Maybe taking a look at BioJava could help - https://github.com/biojava/biojava-legacy/blob/a909c76131400e6f60048566e33a03f45da2f492/core/src/main/java/org/biojava/bio/molbio/RestrictionEnzyme.java#L291

Palindromes in bioinformatics are not normally used as in text processing. If we had tokenizers, then I think maybe we could identify palindromes in words, in sentences, and in proteins, though not entirely sure.

But would be good to find someone, maybe a bioinformatician, that could confirm if it would be useful, and give a few use cases, for that.

Cheers

Bruno

ps: BioJava is an interesting project, that could maybe someday use [text]. They already use [dbcp], [cli] (transitive from jmol I think), and [math]

________________________________
Posted by Amey Jadiye <am...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

> On Jun 21, 2017, at 3:22 PM, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Jun 21, 2017 12:12, "Emmanuel Bourg" <eb...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Le 21/06/2017 à 19:17, Amey Jadiye a écrit :
>>
>> Though its very trivial to build, by any chance we should have palindrome
>> method in Apache Commons API ? there is nothing bad having this tool in
>> our arsenal, preferably in StringUtils ?
>
> Like sebb I fail to see the use case for this. Checking palindromes
> looks more like an academic exercise to me than a useful feature of a
> text oriented library.

I can see this point fairly clearly, but I also would also be curious to see if openNLP or lucene/solr has such a function. It wouldn't surprise me.

That being said, we should indeed be careful about creating code with no obvious use case. So until we can unearth folks doing palindromic operations let's hold off. I do recall Bruno saying he might have some use cases though.

-Rob

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.