Posted to user@ctakes.apache.org by "McGee, John" <mc...@unc.edu> on 2019/08/28 13:56:38 UTC

cTAKES in a system for regulated data

Greetings cTAKES community,

For obvious reasons we are trying to run cTAKES on regulated data within a FISMA compliant computing environment. While our investigators have UMLS credentials that work just fine on an internet connected machine, we are not successful in running cTAKES within our secure environment.

Looking through the markmail archives, I only find a suggestion (from 2013) of running the UMLS server from within the environment, but it's not clear how to do that. Against our better judgement, we tried whitelisting and proxying the ip address associated with uts-ws.nlm.nih.gov, however it continues to fail while validating UMLS credentials.

Are there best practices or help docs for the necessary firewall rules and proxies for running within a highly secured environment? Exactly what does cTAKES require in order to communicate with UMLS for authN/Z and to function properly?

Thanks much!
John