Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com> on 2010/05/07 18:40:11 UTC

Silly question about 'rack aware'...

Ok,

I should know this... but just to be safe...

When setting up the rack aware script, will the input to the script always be the machine's IP address, or will it be the actual hostname?

I'm pretty sure that its the IP address, but I just wanted to make sure and cover my bases.

Thx

-Mike

Re: Silly question about 'rack aware'...

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
Hey Michael,

The script specified by dfs.network.script is passed both host names
and IPs. In most cases an IP is passed, however in some cases (eg when
using dfs.hosts files) a hostname is passed.

Thanks,
Eli

ps - useful pointers:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-common-user/200911.mbox/%3C4B041EDF.8050103@videoegg.com%3E