Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Zhe Liu <al...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/16 04:41:45 UTC

[QA][DISCUSS]Refactor automated test code.

Hi,
Our project is loaded with automated testing code, but it's in a mess
and out of maintain. Even the most are not stable enough to give
useful results. The testing I mentioned here requires a running
OpenOffice instances, not is the low level unit test during building,
e.g. UNO API test, complex test and gui test.
I propose to refactor it. I wrote a wiki page to introduce it.
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Test_Refactor
The key points include:
1. Keep only Java as programming language and base on JUnit 4.  It can
reduce our maintain effort.  Currently our test code is written in 3
languages (Basic, C++ and Java).
2. Reduces modules related to test.
3. Readable code and unified style. For UNO API,  if test code is
enough readable, it's also a good code example for OpenOffice
developers.
One problem is that the refactor task requires us to do a lot of work.
What's your opinion?

--
Best Regards

Re: [QA][DISCUSS]Refactor automated test code.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On 7/16/12 4:41 AM, Zhe Liu wrote:
> Hi,
> Our project is loaded with automated testing code, but it's in a mess
> and out of maintain. Even the most are not stable enough to give
> useful results. The testing I mentioned here requires a running
> OpenOffice instances, not is the low level unit test during building,
> e.g. UNO API test, complex test and gui test.
> I propose to refactor it. I wrote a wiki page to introduce it.
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Test_Refactor
> The key points include:
> 1. Keep only Java as programming language and base on JUnit 4.  It can
> reduce our maintain effort.  Currently our test code is written in 3
> languages (Basic, C++ and Java).
> 2. Reduces modules related to test.
> 3. Readable code and unified style. For UNO API,  if test code is
> enough readable, it's also a good code example for OpenOffice
> developers.
> One problem is that the refactor task requires us to do a lot of work.
> What's your opinion?

refactoring the whole area makes a lot of sense to me. We can only
benefit from a cleaner tooling here. Something that is maintained and
documented. Hopefully writing some new tests becomes easy enough that
people get started to contribute to this effort ;-)

Juergen